Hammond Memorial 29th April help required!

More
12 years 4 months ago #3380 by Ronan Foley
Replied by Ronan Foley on topic Re: Hammond Memorial 29th April help required!
Happy to help - I've never marshalled before so I'll aim to get there early for some pointers

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Patrick Santini
12 years 4 months ago #3381 by Patrick Santini
Replied by Patrick Santini on topic Re: Hammond Memorial 29th April help required!

I'lll be putting up the route and the corners at the weekend and at the marshals meeting before the race there will be print outs available for all marshals..
Details to follow

Hi Diarmuid-

How are you looking now for cars? If you think you have enough drivers let me know as it may be the case now that I'll be cycling out and looking for a static job (or of course to race if you have an abundance of marshals but I doubt that's the case).

More
12 years 4 months ago #3382 by Diarmuid Collins
Replied by Diarmuid Collins on topic Re: Hammond Memorial 29th April help required!
I have the cars sorted. It's only the static jobs that are left..

More
12 years 4 months ago #3383 by Diarmuid Collins
Replied by Diarmuid Collins on topic Re: Hammond Memorial 29th April help required!
Can the guys who have volunteered send me your mobile number . Address:

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

It probably won't be needed but just in case!

• Roger Broadhurst
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #3384 by Roger Broadhurst
Replied by Roger Broadhurst on topic Re: Hammond Memorial 29th April help required!
Is there anyone going to Roundwood by car who'd be prepared to give me a lift? (I live in Kimmage.)

Thanks!

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Lift offered; thanks.
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by Roger Broadhurst.

• Edward O Mahoney
12 years 4 months ago #3386 by Edward O Mahoney
Replied by Edward O Mahoney on topic Re: Hammond Memorial 29th April help required!
Will marshall or get a stand in

More
12 years 4 months ago #3387 by Diarmuid Collins
This is the map of the route for those not familiar with it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Patrick Santini

More
12 years 4 months ago #3388 by Diarmuid Collins
Guys. Here's a quick guide to marshaling. At the meeting on th morning of the race we will cover all this again but no harm in having a read of it.

HAMMOND MEMORIALS

What to bring when marshalling
You will be marshalling on a corner for the duration of a number of races so you should plan on being there for 4 hours. Dress and prepare accordingly. What you could bring:
• Warm clothes and a rain jacket.
• Umbrella
• A camping stool or chair if you have one.

What to do when marshalling

• The main priority of a marshal during a race is to provide safety to the riders and other road users when the riders are in the area. All of our races are held on open roads and if we are unable to cover all the corners we are unable to hold a race. A marshal should be easily visible by road users (yellow jacket, red flag, etc) and must be a member of Cycling Ireland for insurance reasons.

• There are times when other road users become irate when they are asked to slow down and wait till riders pass by a specific point. The best way to handle any verbal abuse is to always be polite, smile and remind the road user that the period of time they are asked to stop is a very short period.

• Do not get involved in any confrontation with the road user. If the authorities (Garda Siochana, Local Council) believe that the riders are being a nuisance on the roads they can and will prevent us from holding these races.

Riders turning left in a race where there is no traffic coming from the right -
• The marshal will stand on the road directing the riders down the turn. They will also be indicating to traffic coming towards the riders to slow down. If there is any bad surface/gravel/potholes on the corner or cars stopped too close to the corner do not hesitate to shout out to the riders to ensure they know of any issues

• The second marshal should move ahead on the road that the riders will be joining to signal to any oncoming traffic of the riders approaching. All cars should be brought to a stop until the riders have passed.

• If there is only one marshal on the corner the lead car will assume the role of the second marshal.

Riders turning right in a race where there is no traffic coming from the left –
• The marshal will stand on the road to stop oncoming traffic; they will also directing the riders to take the turn. If there is any bad surface/gravel/potholes on the corner or cars stopped too close to the corner do not hesitate to shout out to the riders to ensure they know of any issues.

• When the road is a very busy main road it maybe a requirement to have 3 marshals on the corner

• The second marshal should move ahead on the road that the riders will be joining to signal to any oncoming traffic of the riders approaching. All cars should be brought to a stop until the riders have passed.

• If there is only one marshal on the corner the lead car will assume the role of the second marshal.

Riders approaching a cross roads and turning left, right or going straight –
• The marshals will need to stop the traffic coming in all directions (from the left, right and oncoming) at this junction.

• When this occurs it is normally on a very busy junction so it is important that the marshal is clearly visible and gives oncoming traffic sufficient notice.

More
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #3389 by Diarmuid Collins
I would strongly suggest you bring suitable clothing for the job. Warm clothing, rain jacket and umbrella would all be a good idea.
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by Diarmuid Collins.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian Mc

• Ken McCullagh
12 years 4 months ago #3396 by Ken McCullagh
Replied by Ken McCullagh on topic Re: Hammond Memorial 29th April help required!

I would strongly suggest you bring suitable clothing for the job. Warm clothing, rain jacket and umbrella would all be a good idea.

If you're driving out, a brush is handy to lob in the car to clear any gravel from the corners too.

• Brendan Canning
12 years 4 months ago #3399 by Brendan Canning
Replied by Brendan Canning on topic Re: Hammond Memorial 29th April help required!
Hi Diarmuid,

I'm afraid I am going to have to withdraw my comitment to help out due to work.

Apologies and I hope it all goes well.

Thanks

Brendan

• Edward O Mahoney
12 years 4 months ago #3410 by Edward O Mahoney
Replied by Edward O Mahoney on topic Re: Hammond Memorial 29th April help required!
Will help if short of marshalls

More
12 years 4 months ago #3418 by Diarmuid Collins
Thanks to all whom volunteered. The race would not be possibly without your help. There will be a marshal meeting at 9:30 tomorrow at the GAA club. Please be there and on time where you will be briefed and assigned your corner....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ronan Foley

More
12 years 4 months ago #3419 by Eddie Lynch
Replied by Eddie Lynch on topic Re: Hammond Memorial 29th April help required!
Diarmo, I won't make it for 9.30 as I'm riding out, but I'll be there for 10.00. Put me down for anywhere you're stuck

More
12 years 4 months ago #3420 by Neal Hudson
Replied by Neal Hudson on topic Re: Hammond Memorial 29th April help required!
Afraid I'm not going to be able to make tomorrow, sick, apologies

• Konstantinos Michalitsis
12 years 4 months ago #3422 by Konstantinos Michalitsis
Replied by Konstantinos Michalitsis on topic Re: Hammond Memorial 29th April help required!
Diarmuid where exactly is the GAA club?

More
12 years 4 months ago #3423 by Dave Mc

Diarmuid where exactly is the GAA club?

The GAA club is at the south end of the village, about 100 metres from the "start" point on the map linked above.
There will be signs up in the village in the morning.

More
12 years 4 months ago #3424 by Brian Mc
Replied by Brian Mc on topic Re: Hammond Memorial 29th April help required!
Special thanks from me to all the marshalls who braved the cold today, which meant I could race. Hope I did ye proud!
The following user(s) said Thank You: BarryR, Dick O'Brien, Ken McCullagh

More
12 years 4 months ago #3425 by Declan Quigley
Replied by Declan Quigley on topic Re: Hammond Memorial 29th April help required!
Well done Brian. Great performance. Don't hang around in A3, now!

More
12 years 4 months ago #3426 by Brian Ahern
Replied by Brian Ahern on topic Re: Hammond Memorial 29th April help required!
To echo the McArdilator's comments - thanks to everyone for helping out and for all the support on the circuit. Savage day for a bike race. Perhaps an even savager race to be standing on the side of a road with a flag for 4 hours.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BarryR, Ken McCullagh

Time to create page: 0.373 seconds