Very best of luck tomorrow lads.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian Mc

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #10309 by Ann Horan
Replied by Ann Horan on topic Good luck to our Rás team
Hey lads
The very best of luck to all of you.

It won't be easy but it'll be worth it!!!
(Sorry couldn't resist adding in a cheesy quote)
See you in Skerries : )

More
9 years 4 months ago #10313 by Tom Blennerhassett
Replied by Tom Blennerhassett on topic Good luck to our Rás team
Thanks for all the support and good wishes folks!

It's been a long road to get here, years really, and it's almost surreal now to think that we're nearly there and in only a few hours we'll be lining up in Dunboyne for the main event. I don't think any of us would have made it to the start-line without the huge support of the club, from the fundraising, the donation of time and effort and gear, encouragement, advice et. It's a great feeling. So thank you, and I hope we can do you proud. We'll certainly try.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Siobhan O'Connor, Eugène SKIL

More
9 years 4 months ago #10314 by Neal Hudson
Replied by Neal Hudson on topic Good luck to our Rás team
I'll echo what Tom has said - the support from the club has been fantastic, thanks everyone for the best wishes!

Not sure about 2000 word blogs but will definitely try to put some thoughts down to capture the ups and downs that are sure to come over the next few days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eugène SKIL

More
9 years 4 months ago #10315 by Liam Rowsome
Replied by Liam Rowsome on topic Good luck to our Rás team
I've huge admiration for you lads doing the Rás. You all deserve to be there. Get stuck in. Give it what you got and "enjoy" the ride.

L.

• Patrick O'Brien
9 years 4 months ago #10319 by Patrick O'Brien
Replied by Patrick O'Brien on topic Good luck to our Rás team
A huge thanks to the Club for all the backing and support they have given the team to put them on the start line in Dunboyne this morning. Thanks especially to Joe Daly Cycles for providing a very generous stockpile of energy bars, drinks and gels to the team. There is enough to fuel a small army and there will be an immense sugar buzz for the week. Thanks again David T.

Huge thank you also to shipmytribike.ie who have provided us with the use of their Van for the week. It will be a useful asset to the team and we are beyond grateful. We will be showcasing the Ship My Tri Bike van at every team car park this week alongside the Orwell team car.

More
9 years 4 months ago #10321 by Lucy Soden
Replied by Lucy Soden on topic Good luck to our Rás team
Best of luck boys! Enjoy it-am sure you will all do great!

More
9 years 4 months ago #10330 by Diarmuid Donnelly
Replied by Diarmuid Donnelly on topic Good luck to our Rás team
Very best of luck this week lads!

More
9 years 4 months ago #10340 by Brian Mc
Replied by Brian Mc on topic Good luck to our Rás team
A quick word before Pat's social media curfew kicks in!

What better way to start the Rás than with some hard riding? All Orwell are home safe and sound, and will be taking to the start line tomorrow, but it was touch and go for a while. We were only a few minutes out of Dunboyne when one of the regular slowdown moments in the bunch saw another rider lock up his wheels and slide into the back of Neal as he was taking a drink. Some epic riding by himself and Dick saw them come in near the end of the race.

The comms made special dispensation given that there were crashes at the start of the race, the cavalcade was all over the place, and the weather wasn't great, so no time limits were imposed today.

Myself and Tom finished in the bunch, with Michael - our guest rider who's slotting in perfectly - only distanced on the last KOH. One down, seven to go!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Declan Quigley, Aidan Collins, BarryR, Eileen Byrne, Gavin Dodd, Siobhan O'Connor, Eugène SKIL

• Patrick O'Brien
9 years 4 months ago #10345 by Patrick O'Brien
Replied by Patrick O'Brien on topic Good luck to our Rás team
Great to see so many Orwell supporters out for stage 1. The fans were making themselves heard in Dunboyne, all along the route and there were plenty more Orwell crew in Carlow. Thanks for all the support! It really is great to see everyone out there.

More
9 years 4 months ago #10355 by John Anslow
Replied by John Anslow on topic Good luck to our Rás team
Best of luck to all the team this week. Daily highlights being provided online, here's stage I

More
9 years 4 months ago #10365 by Dick O'Brien
Replied by Dick O'Brien on topic Good luck to our Rás team
Thanks so much for all the support. It was amazing to see so many Orwell jerseys and familiar faces in Dunboyne yesterday and out along the route.

No forum login? Mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Don't want to miss any forum posts? How to set up email notifications
Subscribe to the calendar: Hit "+" button at bottom of widget
The following user(s) said Thank You: Siobhan O'Connor

More
9 years 4 months ago #10387 by Stephen Barry
Replied by Stephen Barry on topic Good luck to our Rás team
Three stages down, five to go. Inspirational stuff. Keep fighting all the way!

More
9 years 3 months ago #10397 by Neal Hudson
Replied by Neal Hudson on topic Good luck to our Rás team
Thanks all for the support - we're all home again today safe and sound

The crew here is phenomenal - Pat + Fionn from the car and Mary + Aisling from the van after, don't know how we'd survive without them!

The race went BOOM today when we turned into a crosswind at 23kms in, never experienced anything like it. The wind out here on the west coast has been pretty savage the last couple of days...

Brian, Tom, Michael + myself came home in a group, Dick put in another hard ride today to finish in a group of 5.

Halfway through, one day at a time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gavin Dodd, Valdis Andersons

More
9 years 3 months ago #10400 by Brian Ahern
Replied by Brian Ahern on topic Good luck to our Rás team
Fantastic stuff lads well done. I have taken the liberty of describing how you all may or may not be feeling right now!

If the lads weren’t already wrecked before today’s stage then they definitely will be wrecked this evening. 4 days in to this 8-day epic event. I don’t want to remind them that they are only half way through it. They might try to do the maths themselves by subtracting the number of stages completed from the number of stages in the race but to be honest I’m not sure they’d come up with the correct answer. Why? They may have all done honors maths for the leaving cert, but they are all too wrecked to remember what day of the week it is, what stage it is, what town they are in and they may even struggle to order food off tonight’s menu. Chicken or fish? “eehhhh….I dunno….just give me some food….i don’t care anymore….”

Their legs will be as stiff as chipboard and these grown men will cry on the massage table this evening when the IT bands are attacked. They may also have knots in the back of their shoulder blades, tops of the shoulders, hip-flexors, glutes and calves that are deeper and more severe than they have been all season. The soigneurs will have their work cut out and also need to become psychologists, listening to the lads’ whinging and moaning about stuff. “I wanted 1 scoop of energy drink in a blue bottle – not 2 scoops in a red bottle!”

They should sleep well though right? Not necessarily. Their heart rates will remain elevated into the late evening and combine that with the stress of the stage the lads may find it hard to nod off. They’ll probably be replaying a few of the key moments in the stage…..the near miss…or when they should have done this or that. They may need to visit the bathroom more often due to the volume of water, dioralyte, recovery drinks and other liquids consumed to rehydrate.

I won’t confirm this for you but their back-sides will be fairly raw by now too. They may have been sitting in a more stressed position in the lineouts and forgot they were sitting uncomfortably on the saddle. Racing through intermittent showers has meant additional friction on the saddle so they will be applying sudocream, savlon or talc to the affected area to help that issue while sleeping commando. Then Aisling and Mary will tuck them in with a hot water bottle and rubbing their foreheads while reading the lads a story and they’ll feel much better.

Tomorrow morning when the alarm clock alarm clock goes off they will think someone is having a laugh. They’ll roll out of bed with a sleepy head, put their feet on the floor and stand up gingerly. They feel wrecked….but might actually feel surprisingly ok. Then they’ll try to walk down the stairs putting pressure on the front of the thighs……nope….that’s not going to work. They may walk down the stairs backwards or sideways. Eating breakfast may start to be a struggle too and the breakfast table conversation may be a bit more subdued….especially if the rain is splattering off the window. Some of the lads may be sitting at the table with the infamous rás stare…..that blank look into a space in the distance that doesn’t actually exist…..just zoned out of it.

Packing the suitcase again….pinning on the numbers again…..losing the overshoes again…..where’s my spare pair of mitts? Disorganisation starts to kick in, even for the most organised ex-scout leaders.

The best thing the lads can do to loosen up is ride their bikes. Hopefully they won’t fall off the rollers in the car park. As the racing begins and the pushing and shoving is going on in the neutralised zone some clown will possibly fall off…….then the flag out the sunroof of the lead car will drop and the racing will begin for another stage. The first lineout will happen and after about 20mins of racing the fatigue in their hollow legs will hopefully dissolve. The cavalcade will become mental and manager Pat O’Brien will once again start wondering what sort of insurance cover he has. Indeed, when Pat rode this race he described it as being “harder than the leaving cert”. I wonder will he find managing these eejits harder than racing it?

I’m not painting a very pretty picture of this race but that’s because this race isn’t pretty. Some photo’s may look pretty…..but the photos of the pro’s with their stupid sexy tanned legs and cool victory salutes doesn’t tell the whole story. This race is absolutely savage. Whether you are up the road in breakaways or down the back with the broom wagon it’s brutally hard and a massive physical and mental challenge. But it’s the rás and it’s an absolutely fantastic race to be a part of.

Best of the luck to all the lads and support crew as you enter the closing stages of the race. It’s definitely going to get much easier* and you will have absolutely no problems** for the rest of the week as you race back towards skerries. Believe me lads it will all be worth it and you will be well equipped to complete the Wicklow 200 in June.

Now get up the road!
Brian.

*the race may not get easier
**you may have problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Declan Quigley, Aidan Collins, Brian Mc, BarryR, Tom Blennerhassett, Gavin Dodd, Bernard English, Dan Coulcher, Fergal Quinn, Valdis Andersons, Danny Moriarty, Daragh Boyd, Ann Horan, John Anslow, Paul Walsh, Fionn Sheridan, Stephen Barry, Eugène SKIL, David Cahill, Seán Murnane

More
9 years 3 months ago #10401 by BarryR
Replied by BarryR on topic Good luck to our Rás team
J****s Brian I'm going to have to have a long lie down after just reading your description of it!

Not on Whatsapp. Contact me on Signal app instead.

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #10405 by Tom Blennerhassett
Brian absolutely nails it with that assessment. There speaks a man who has been where I am many times and understands it completely, but is definitely not doing it right now - if he were he wouldn't be capable of such a great post. I know I'm not. I can barely speak yet alone write.

So I'll keep it brief. This is hard. Buts it's also magnificent. And Pat and Fionn and Ash and Mary are wonderful. We're half way. I don't know what day of the week it is but I know that tomorrow is stage 5. Maybe hills won't hurt as much as crosswinds because at least hills have a top...?
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Tom Blennerhassett. Reason: Rás brain
The following user(s) said Thank You: Declan Quigley, BarryR, Gavin Dodd, Bernard English, Dan Coulcher, Fergal Quinn, Valdis Andersons, Stephen Barry, Eugène SKIL, David Cahill

More
9 years 3 months ago #10424 by Tom Blennerhassett
So it turns out hills and crosswinds aren't mutually exclusive and that crosswinds are usually at their worst at the top of a hill. This is some race.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Declan Quigley, Brian Mc, BarryR, Diarmuid Collins

More
9 years 3 months ago #10425 by Brian Mc
Replied by Brian Mc on topic Good luck to our Rás team
Today felt like a proper sequel to yesterday - more crosswinds, similar carnage and splits, only today I found some riders who actually know what an echelon is. Didn't stop me being swallowed up by the bunch after 20km.

Really sad to lose Dick today, but after he started shivering at the million-degree dinner table last night, he made a wise move to pull out this morning.

The crew continue to be amazing - which I'm even saying after Mary and Aishling made us sit in an ice bath. wowsers! Fionn has performed numerous special jobs for me at this point, changing tubs, cassettes, batteries, fixing things after a small crash... and Pat is the most organised manager on the Rás, and makes sure our every need is looked after!

Support from home is great too - all messages are received and read with pride! It's hard to find time to respond to them all, but keep them coming!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Declan Quigley, Denis Gleeson, BarryR, Diarmuid Collins, Bernard English, Dan Coulcher, Fergal Quinn, Paul Walsh, Eugène SKIL, David Cahill

Time to create page: 0.343 seconds