MIDLANDS 300

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #23349 by Leonard Kaye
MIDLANDS 300 was created by Leonard Kaye
You have finished the Wicklow 200 and or tackled this year’s tougher Mount Leinster Challenge and are looking for another challenge!!!

LOOK NO FURTHER - MIDLANDS 300, AKA ORWELL ‘ONE LUMP’ 300

Sunday 9th July 2017, Venue: Joe Daly Cycles, Dundrum, 6:00am Start

Last year 13 merry cyclists and Snow White AKA Sinead Kennedy set out, and all 14 completed the 300km. Here’s a little video of the day; to encourage you to consider signing up for this year’s event.

ALSO HERE IS AN EDITED VERSION OF DAVE MAC’S ADVICE FOR DOING A 300 FROM LAST YEAR.

"Hi all, it's great that people are being audacious enough to consider taking on a 300, and if there's a gang of first timers doing it there will probably never find a better time to take the plunge.

Anyone who has ridden 200k in a day can do a 300, given the right day and route, but you can give yourself the best chance of success by choosing the time of year to maximise your fitness and give you the most hours of daylight. Going purely on hours of available daylight late June or early July is your best bet …, "

THE DATE SET IS JULY 9TH THIS YEAR

"… it is the simplest of all of the (300) routes in terms of navigation, finding food stops et cetera.

Hopefully that gives a few people inspiration or helps get a few of you off the fence, if anyone has any questions on any of the events or on riding a 300 in general don't hesitate to ask."

DAVE ALSO SAYS THAT THIS IS AN INTERESTING ARTICLE FOR THOSE CONSIDERING A 300KM AUDAX THIS YEAR.

STEPPING UP TO 300K - By Paul O’Donoghue

www.audaxireland.org/the-saddlebag/stepping-up-to-300k/

Cheers,
Leonard
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Leonard Kaye.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, Colin Coffey, Jack Bracken

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #23350 by Leonard Kaye
Replied by Leonard Kaye on topic MIDLANDS 300 Audax
THE ORGANISER, of this 300 is, OUR OWN DAVE MAC.

Dave tells me …

“I'll be taking entries until Friday 7th of July, so 2 days before the event. Forms can be e-mailed to me, or dropped into Joe Daly's. Payment in cash to the shop or PayPal to me (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.). If anyone has paid by PayPal to Audax Ireland it will get to me, just it's a bit of a long way around.”

You can get a form at the following website

www.audaxireland.org/events-calendar/entry-form/

Cheers,
Leonard
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colin Coffey

More
7 years 2 months ago #23352 by Sinead Kennedy
Replied by Sinead Kennedy on topic MIDLANDS 300 Audax
Hopefully if the weather is nice I will be doing it again!
Would be great to have a few more lovely ladies!? It was a really enjoyable day out and honestly it was mostly manageable. I will be honest and tell that the climb out of saggart felt like Mount Everest but we had 280km done at that stage!

If your looking for a fun day out come along. We had a great team last year. We broke into two for the last 100km or so.

I wrote a blog last year after it, it's not as good as Leonard's vlogs though!
It's only a fiver to enter so what are you waiting for!!
Here is the link,
www.sineadekennedy.com/blog/hitting-the-big-3oh

Fingers crossed for good weather
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, Leonard Kaye

More
7 years 2 months ago #23354 by Joe Fitzpatrick
Replied by Joe Fitzpatrick on topic MIDLANDS 300 Audax
I did this last year - a great day out - and Im looking forward to it this year.

To be honest, it was a bit of a struggle from 220 to 280 (Leonard, Jose and Andrew got me through that). And I was buzzin' by the time I got back to JDs.

That said, I only had one 200km and a couple of 140s done in 2016 before taking this on. So I would echo that piece above "anyone who has ridden 200k in a day can do a 300" and with the right weather this is the right route.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, Leonard Kaye

More
7 years 2 months ago #23441 by Dave Mc
Replied by Dave Mc on topic MIDLANDS 300 Audax
There is a few hours left for any late entries for this, if anyone is still sitting on the fence.

There is a good group down to ride it, weather is looking promising, so it should be a great day out for all who are audacious enough to give it a go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leonard Kaye

More
7 years 2 months ago #23446 by Leonard Kaye
Why not give it a go!!! , There is a nice 'handy paced' group that will look after you on the trip around the Midlands.

One of the members on the spin last year - treated himself to an early morning Mac Donald's in Newbridge, and a mid-day one in Athlone. I heard a rumour he made it a triple in Nutgrove on his way home, later that day, in honour of the 300.

Is that true Donal?
Cheers,
Leonard

More
7 years 2 months ago #23449 by Donal O'Connor
Replied by Donal O'Connor on topic MIDLANDS 300 Audax
No just the 2 McDonalds for me Leonard. had a Chinese takeaway when I got home. The two bottles of cold beer courtesy of Dave Mc in Joe Dalys at the finish were magnificent.
Unfortunately I can't do it this year. Best wishes to all doing it. It really was a great day last year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leonard Kaye

More
7 years 2 months ago #23456 by Dave Mc
17 riders set out from Dundrum at 6:00 this morning, including 4 (or 5?) first timers. The weather could hardly be more ideal for them, so hopefully they are all going to have a great day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ken Moloney

More
7 years 2 months ago #23460 by Dave Mc
All riders through the first control at Mountrath and trucking on towards the Slieve Blooms.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Donal O'Connor

More
7 years 2 months ago #23461 by Dave Mc
All through Athlone now at 170km, with the wind behind them for the run home.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Donal O'Connor

More
7 years 2 months ago #23469 by Dave Mc
The last gang is in with just under 4 hours to spare to the time limit. Planning is already well under way for the 400!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Luke GJ Potter, Ken Moloney, Barry Higgins, Shauna Whelan, Jack Bracken

More
7 years 2 months ago #23483 by Barry Higgins
Replied by Barry Higgins on topic MIDLANDS 300 Audax
A huge thanks to Dave for everything. You've made a tough day in the saddle a lot more manageable. Opening the shop at stupid o'clock and waiting for us to return at almost the same was unreal. The beer and provisions were appreciated in ways I'll never be able to express.
Also Rosie, thank you for giving up the bulk of your Sunday to deal out jelly babies and encouragement at the top of that "negligible climb" to the top of the Slieve Blooms.
It was so nice to see Sinead and Ger welcoming us back, it's amazing how some smiling friendly faces can lift your weary spirits!
It makes you so proud to be part of this club.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leonard Kaye, Pat Piesche

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #23484 by Leonard Kaye
Thanks Dave for a very well organised 300km Audax. We are all very happy that all got around safely.

Giving serious consideration to the 400 on the 6th Aug!!!
A few shots from yesterday:
The Audax group setting off
The early morning catering crew Clare and Joanne

Rosie with here bunch of merry men at the secret control on top of Wolftrap Hill

It's been a long day, Colin looking a wee bit tired, Danny giving us instruction on how to take a 15 minute audax nap in a Lidl doorway and Dave updating the forum.

Cheers,
Leonard
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Donal O'Connor, Pat Piesche, Jack Bracken

Time to create page: 0.400 seconds