RIP Niall Kieran

More
1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #38883 by Joe Fitzpatrick
RIP Niall Kieran was created by Joe Fitzpatrick
It is with deep sorrow that we have to share the news of the tragic passing of clubmate Niall Kieran in a cycling accident last weekend.

Niall and his father Gerry were cycling in France. Those who knew Niall would be aware that he was so looking forward to this trip with his dad. Niall loved every aspect of cycling - weekend spins, racing and the social side. He was well known and loved throughout the club.

Niall will be sorely missed by all those in the club who knew him. Our thoughts and heartfelt condolences especially go out to Gerry.

The club extends its deepest sympathies to all the extended Kieran family at this sad time. 

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a hanam dílis

Attachments:
Last edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by Joe Fitzpatrick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Declan Quigley, Denis Gleeson, Brian Mc, Stephen McNally, Fergal O'Sullivan, Colum Bradley, Louise Keane, Mark Mulcahy, Dan Coulcher, Dave Murnane, Fergal Quinn, Colm Featherstone, Daragh Boyd, James O'Callaghan, Helen Horan, Donal O'Connor, Luke GJ Potter, Tom Crotty, Ken Moloney, Donal Arundel, Ian Devlin, Ciarán Carroll, Tom McGovern, James Brennan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #38884 by Colm Featherstone
Replied by Colm Featherstone on topic RIP Niall Kieran
That is very sad news Joe, very hard on Gerry and all the family, fond memories of the two of them together over many years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denis Gleeson, Brian Mc, Daragh Boyd, Luke GJ Potter, Leonard Kaye, Ken Moloney

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #38885 by Brian Mc
Replied by Brian Mc on topic RIP Niall Kieran
It was heart-breaking to hear this news. I can't imagine there are many in the club who haven't cycled or raced alongside Niall or Gerry over the years.

Niall was quiet, but always determined - putting in the miles and working his way steadily up from Limit to Semi-scratch in the league, and clocking up a victory on the notoriously tough Golden Ball circuit in 2021.

Gut wrenching. RIP Niall and all my condolences to Gerry and the family.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Declan Quigley, Denis Gleeson, Mark Mulcahy, Fergal Quinn, Daragh Boyd, Helen Horan, Donal O'Connor, Luke GJ Potter, Ken Moloney

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #38886 by Ciarán Carroll
Replied by Ciarán Carroll on topic RIP Niall Kieran
Absolutely tragic. Rest in peace, Niall 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ken Moloney

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #38887 by David Claes
Replied by David Claes on topic RIP Niall Kieran
A regular on my club spins. Remember him as quiet. He let his legs do the talking, especially when roads went upwards. He is on his final ascent. May he rest in peace.
My thoughts are with Gerry.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Declan Quigley, Luke GJ Potter, Ken Moloney

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #38888 by Donal Arundel
Replied by Donal Arundel on topic RIP Niall Kieran
It was a shock when I was browsing the Irish Times on my mobile and unexpectedly came across Niall picture looking out at me and the dawning realisation of what that meant.
I had many fantastic spins, and a few very enjoyable races with Niall. He was a very even tempered, calm, and very quick young man that was annoyingly light, and wirely strong. It’s terrible shame and my thoughts go to his family. RIP Niall
The following user(s) said Thank You: Declan Quigley, Luke GJ Potter, Ken Moloney

More
1 month 2 weeks ago - 1 month 2 weeks ago #38890 by Brian Mc
Replied by Brian Mc on topic RIP Niall Kieran
Thanks to all of you who came out in such great numbers to represent the club in Churchtown this morning. I'm sure it was a great comfort to the family to see so many jerseys in the guard of honour, and so many friendly faces sympathising afterwards. I know some couldn't make it to the church and were at the house on Sunday evening as well, but everyone did the club proud.

Thanks to those who have shared their stories and sympathies on Facebook also, from Orwell and many more from the wider cycling community and beyond.

A representative from the Oireachtas was also in touch with the club:

On behalf of the Service, we would like to offer our deepest sympathies to Niall’s cycling friends on his sudden and untimely death.  I’m sure you are as shocked and saddened at this sad news as all of Niall’s friends and colleagues here.  He was a thoroughly kind, helpful and gentle colleague and we shall miss him greatly.

Niall was always a fixture when I was racing, but I never realised quite how long he was in the club until this week. Gerry mentioned that Niall was doing laps of the back garden from an early age, and Gerry brought him and his brother Conor along to Aidan Hammond’s Phoenix park and Sundrive road spins as early as 2005.

www.cyclingnews.com/news/dundrum-sc-orwe...lers-cycling-school/ (link thanks to Dave Mc, who also helped out at those sessions)

Niall and Conor's love of cycling was so infectious that it spurred Gerry to buy his own bike to spend time with the boys!

Dave Mc told me of hostelling trips that the youth members would take over the following years, Niall and Conor going along with the Kaye-Mellor and Keogh clans and many others besides.

The earliest mention I could find online was a silver finish in the Christmas youth race in 2008, two places ahead of Conor: www.orwellwheelers.org/home/archive/2012/3

That became just one of many results over the years, and after he became a senior he steadily and determinedly worked his way up the league handicap groups with strong performances. He moved to Semi-limit in 2018 and 2019 was a standout year - he came 1st in the SL group in the 10TT Champs, 5th overall in the Sally Gap race, and his time in the Hill Climb Champs that year was already good enough for SS.

His win in August 2021 was not his most recent result, but a first place on the last night of the league is a formidable achievement. Many people have spoken of Niall's climbing ability, and it shows in the class of his result and placings through the years.

The other thing that everyone talked about was his caring nature - when he could've been off the front of group spins, he was usually to be found off the back making sure anybody struggling wouldn't be left behind.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.
Last edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by Brian Mc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark Mulcahy, Luke GJ Potter, Ken Moloney

Time to create page: 0.273 seconds