Winter spins 2013-2014

More
10 years 11 months ago #5522 by Dave Mc
Winter spins 2013-2014 was created by Dave Mc
Apologies for it's late arrival, but the Winter spin roster is now up on the front page. As has been the case in recent years most senior club members have been given two spins to lead between now and the end of March.

As usual I have excluded anyone who I know to be unavailable, anyone who might still be regarded as a beginner, under 18s, and anyone who is already volunteering to bring out other groups. I have only included on the list people who I know to be capable of leading or helping to lead a group- there may well be newer members who would be well capable but haven't been included because I don't know them. If you haven't been rostered but want to help get in touch, we will find a job for you.

Conversely, if you have been included on the roster but are unavailable, feel you are incapable, or just resent spending your Sunday morning with beginners, we aren't going to make anyone lead a spin. I do ask though that you let us know beforehand if you aren't going to be doing your rostered spins.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #5523 by Dave Mc
Replied by Dave Mc on topic Winter spins 2013-2014
This year we have a separate list of minders specifically to look after newcomers and stragglers. You will be able to identify them by their yellow arm bands. What this means is that the group leaders will only have to be concerned with knowing the route and keeping the group orderly. If riders are struggling the minders will look after them, leaving the rest of the group to carry on as normal. Please note this only applies to the White groups.

This year we are requiring all newcomers to start off through the White groups so we can be sure of their group riding skills before they move up. This is irrespective of their ability. If you are leading a group and you feel that there are people in it who are capable of moving up to an unsupervised group let them know which group you feel they should start with the following week.

If you get a strong rider who is useless in the group don't be tempted to let them move up- you may well end up stuck with them in an Orange or Red group for the rest of the Winter.

More
10 years 11 months ago #5525 by Brian Mc
Replied by Brian Mc on topic Winter spins 2013-2014
Split the yellow group in two today, myself and Aido took half of them on a lap of the lakes. Not a bad day for it, average around 24kmph.

It should be noted that Aidan Collins didn't do a tap on the front, until he did a turn on the way home, when we were going down the Embankment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, Sandra Telford

More
10 years 11 months ago #5526 by Stephen Ryan
Replied by Stephen Ryan on topic Winter spins 2013-2014
As Leisure rep I'd be interested in getting as much feedback as possible on the group rides on a Sunday to make sure that we're meeting the needs of that group. I'll post my own white group report below in a sec , but just some general impressions first.

There were a very big number at Joes' this morning which was brilliant to see. And as far as I could tell, all groups got off on time and safely , although some of the sub groups might have been quite full. You tell me.

I think I saw 4 Orange groups go with c. 12-15 in each
Looked like about 40 yellows - which went in 2 ? groups
There were at least 4 white groups - total maybe 50 pax

Based on the sign on sheet that Denis took , there were about 35 new people - 1 or 2 weeks.

If you don't want to post comments publicly do feel free to mail me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Thanks

Stephen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #5527 by Stephen Ryan
White Group - week 2

Louise, Aideen and myself took the 3rd White Group out today, Step, N11, Delgany , Happy Pear and home. It was a good mixed ability group that worked well together . We rode together, regrouping near top of Kilcroney and Windgates, until Bray on the way back when we split into white and yellowiish groups, taking slightly different routes back from the south end of Bray.

Very pleased to say that I enjoyed it and the "minding" aspect was very straightforward.

www.strava.com/activities/88751270

average 24.5 (although I was with the yellowish group for the Ballyman road)

Stephen
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by Stephen Ryan.

More
10 years 10 months ago #5558 by Brian Mc
Replied by Brian Mc on topic Winter spins 2013-2014
I had a lovely day between yellow and white groups, but I have one request. I'm not sure if it was ever compulsory or just strongly encouraged, but could people please fit mudguards for wet days?

There are plenty of clip-on models (road.cc/content/review/80563-sks-s-blade) if you don't want the hassle of installing/removing a set.

Yours sincerely,
The rider on your wheel getting a faceful of water
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eric Downey

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #5560 by BarryR
Replied by BarryR on topic Winter spins 2013-2014
Good spin with a disciplined orange group, but I second Brian Mc's comments about mudguards. In our group of 11 today there were only 2 full rear mudguards and 2 stubby ones that protected only their own riders. On wet roads there was a heavy spray being thrown back at everyone except the front pair.

I vote for compulsory mudguards!

Not on Whatsapp. Contact me on Signal app instead.
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by BarryR.

More
10 years 10 months ago #5561 by Kathryn Keogh
Replied by Kathryn Keogh on topic Winter spins 2013-2014
I vote for full mudguards too. The short ones are a waste of time in a group!

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #5566 by Dick O'Brien
Replied by Dick O'Brien on topic Winter spins 2013-2014
I led a white spin on Sunday. A couple of observations based on recent spins that are intended to be helpful rather than critical:

1. Don't force the pace. Dropping riders and then having to regroup only slows the spin down. If your group isn't moving fast enough for you, move up a group next Sunday.

2. Keeping a bunch tight means not only staying close to the wheel in front of you but also the rider beside you. If the outside rider is out near the centre line, there's definitely some room for improvement. Also, with some people keeping in and others drifting out - to motorists coming up from behind, it looks for all the world like people are riding three or four abreast.

3. Don't call every single thing on the road, only things that are in the riding line and likely to cause a puncture or accident. Over-enthusiastic calling of minor road imperfections can lead to a lot of needless braking and swerving, which is probably more dangerous than what was originally being called.

No forum login? Mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Don't want to miss any forum posts? How to set up email notifications
Subscribe to the calendar: Hit "+" button at bottom of widget
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by Dick O'Brien.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, Brian Mc, BarryR

More
10 years 10 months ago #5584 by Diarmuid Collins
Replied by Diarmuid Collins on topic Winter spins 2013-2014
I'm afraid I can't lead my group tomorrow. I've a cold which I can't shift and I doubt would improve with a spin. Sorry.

More
10 years 9 months ago #5688 by Paul Brosnan
Replied by Paul Brosnan on topic Winter spins 2013-2014
I'm due to lead a White group next Sunday (15th Dec). But due to an Epic Fail in the Eniskerry Tarmac Luge last Sunday, I'm off the bike for the next 2 to 3 months.

Can anyone cover for me?

Thanks

Paul

• Gerard Galloway
10 years 9 months ago #5689 by Gerard Galloway
Replied by Gerard Galloway on topic Winter spins 2013-2014
Great spin today with the orange group out of Phoenix park. But it's an absolute joke that 50% of the group rocking up for a spin with no mud guards. I'm not fond of a face full of grit and pretty sure my Orwell wheelers kit is ruined. Mud guards have to be made mandatory for winter spins. Might be dry leaving your house but 50k away is a different story.

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #5694 by Danny Moriarty
Replied by Danny Moriarty on topic Winter spins 2013-2014
Gotta agree with Ger here - my sunday dinner had a hint of road grit off it.

I was out with the second orange group - out of 11 riders - only two didnt have mudgaurds but it is two too many. It got to the stage I was actively avoiding their wheel - which brings other risks and issues.

The 'daz white band' of the new orwell jacket is ruined with mud specs - a pity, it was only its maiden voyage - anyone with tips - does the gear hold up to a 90c wash???

Can someone with appropriate authority;

1. Clarify if mudgaurds are actually mandatory or jsut good etiquette.
2. If compulsory, what type of mudgaurd is mandatory (Are clip-on extended gaurds sufficent or are wrap-arounds required)
3. Suggest how rule is enforced - (i.e. make it responsibility of group leader to enforce rule?).

One hymn sheet an all that...........
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by Danny Moriarty.

More
10 years 9 months ago #5695 by Dave Mc
Replied by Dave Mc on topic Winter spins 2013-2014

Can someone with appropriate authority;

1. Clarify if mudgaurds are actually mandatory or jsut good etiquette.
2. If compulsory, what type of mudgaurd is mandatory (Are clip-on extended gaurds sufficent or are wrap-arounds required)
3. Suggest how rule is enforced - (i.e. make it responsibility of group leader to enforce rule?).

One hymn sheet an all that...........

There isn't even the slightest hint of them being mandatory. Use them if you want.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Declan Quigley, Aidan Collins, Emma Convey, Fergal O'Sullivan, Tom Blennerhassett, Dick O'Brien, Daragh Boyd

More
10 years 9 months ago #5697 by Danny Moriarty
Replied by Danny Moriarty on topic Winter spins 2013-2014
Appreciate the reply Dave but don't agree with the first bit.

The following is included in the etiquette link on our home page.

Use mudguards in winter as a courtesy to other riders

I read that as a directive (I think most people do).................. many others don't ! Thus the confusion and annoyance from some quarters. It is a bit ambiguous - could well do with a bit of clarification.

Taking the latter part of your reply on board - I will just get a bit more selective about which wheel I tail!

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #5698 by Stephen Ryan
I'm feeling a sense of deja vu - my first post on the forum was

www.orwellwheelers.org/forum/8-miscellan...e-and-technique.html

almost word for word the point that Danny makes and I read it as expected that you put them on.

I've heard the other side of the argument but nothing I've seen since suggests we're all better off without them. Well we would be better off without those half baked ones that cover the rider in fronts butt but direct the spray back right at you.
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by Stephen Ryan.

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #5699 by Dick O'Brien
Replied by Dick O'Brien on topic Winter spins 2013-2014
Not a fan of mudguards. Some are fine. Most do a fine job of keeping their owner's arse dry and an even better job of directing water into the eyes of the rider behind. Give me the generalised spray of a unguarded wheel any day.

No forum login? Mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Don't want to miss any forum posts? How to set up email notifications
Subscribe to the calendar: Hit "+" button at bottom of widget
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by Dick O'Brien.

More
10 years 9 months ago #5700 by Paul Brosnan
While I'd prefer to be behind a good mudguard, I find using a scarf (Buff), that can be pulled over mouth and nose, does a good job of filtering mud/grit.

You won't see too many mudguards in races, so might as well get some practice in over the winter ;)

More
10 years 9 months ago #5701 by Paul Brosnan
While I'd prefer to be behind a good mudguard, I find using a scarf (Buff), that can be pulled over mouth and nose, does a good job of filtering mud/grit.

You won't see too many mudguards in races, so might as well get some practice in over the winter ;)

BTW - I have someone to cover my White group leadership duties next Sunday.

More
10 years 9 months ago #5702 by Gavin Dodd
Replied by Gavin Dodd on topic Winter spins 2013-2014
Hope the arm heals up soon, Paul.

I can't make it for my rostered Yellow group leader slot this Sunday 15th either. Is anyone else available to swap?

Thanks
Gavin

Time to create page: 0.321 seconds