Midweek Evening Cycling

More
11 years 5 months ago #4541 by Garret Connolly
Midweek Evening Cycling was created by Garret Connolly
Hey all

Spring is here and so Midweek Evening Cycling is Back!

We'll be out every Tuesday evening for some hill training from now until mid September.

This is an all inclusive spin evening and will cater to all standards so whether you're a beginner or an experienced cyclist training for a Marmotte, Etape, W200 or any of the years sportifs this will suit ya. We never leave anyone behind and will regroup at the top of all the major hill each eve. If you're looking for a non stop chest pumping shouting orders spin this is not for you!

Plan will be to start around now doing 40-45km of hills leading up to 75km across tougher courses as the summer progresses. Would recommend coming along to anyone interested in improving your climbing prowess...

I'll be away recovering from an op until early May but a variety of people will take up the slack of leading out the group in the early days....

This weeks spin is Dublin-Blue Light Pub-Johny Foxes-Devils Elbow-Glencree-Featherbeds-Dublin. Approx 45-50km with 800-900 metres of climbing. Eoin will lead out the crew and there will usually be around 8-12 people mixed guys and girls.
Start points 6pm Harolds Cross Bridge bike shop and passing Yellow House Rathfarnam at 615pm. Will be leaving sharp from both points.

Helmets and Lights are compulsory....

Any questions email or give me a shout...

Garret
087 239 0130
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan Coulcher, Stephen Ryan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #4575 by Dan Coulcher
Replied by Dan Coulcher on topic Midweek Evening Cycling
Great turnout last night 15+.

Beautiful but cold. Still some snow on Featherbeds but it is only mid April....

More
11 years 5 months ago #4576 by Garret Connolly
Replied by Garret Connolly on topic Midweek Evening Cycling
Hey all

bit earlier emailing for next week than normal as I'll be away for weekend...so here it goes...

Great turn out last Tuesday with 18 guys and ladies enjoying a beautiful evening with some lovely snowy vistas up the featherbeds.

This is an all inclusive spin evening and will cater to all standards so whether you're a beginner or an experienced cyclist. We never leave anyone behind and will regroup at the top of all the major hill each eve.

This weeks spin is Tuesday Dublin-Blue Light Pub-Johny Foxes-Devils Elbow-Enniskerry-Powerscourt Waterfall Entrance-Wicklow 200 climb no 1-Featherbeds-Dublin. Approx 50km with 900 metres of climbing. Eoin and Lynda will lead out the crew.

Start points Tuesday 6pm Harolds Cross Bridge bike shop and passing Yellow House Rathfarnam at 615pm. Will be leaving sharp from both points.

Helmets and Lights are compulsory....Temperatures are expected to hit the dizzy heights of 10c but it does get cold up at the high points especially when decending down from the Featherbeds so always bring a hat/gloves/good jacket etc

Any questions email or give me a shout...

Garret
087 239 0130

More
11 years 4 months ago #4638 by Garret Connolly
hey all

another big crowd last week with 19 hardy souls out battling up the hills on a beautiful Tuesday evening. This week's weather is also looking good with temperatures due to hit 15/16degrees by 6pm Tuesday.

Again ideal for anyone who wants to train on the hills midweek and challenging for all standards. We won't leave anyone behind so feel free to come along if you've been cycling for a while and fancy tackling the hills of Dublin and Wicklow.

Lynda and Eoin will again lead out the group.
Route for Tuesday starts at Harolds Cross Bridge Bike Shop at 6pm sharp passing Yellow House Rathfarnam at 615pm.
Up Blue Light Hill-Johnny Foxes-down and up the Devils Elbow-down into Knockree Hostel area-up the DOUBLE WALL-(2km of Ireland's steepest road possibly)-left down half of Djouce Hill-Poggio-Enniskerry-Up the sharp hill left out of Enniskerry-Glencree-Featherbeds-Dublin.
About 55km ish with quite a lot of climbing right from the go...

Helmets and Lights are essential and remember when decending down at about 8pm from the Featherbeds it can be cold so bring cold weather gear too....

I'll see ye all back soon in a couple of weeks hopefully injury free so enjoy.

Best of luck to everyone heading out to Majorca for the 167km race but especially to the 2 Daves, Lynda and John and all the nutters doing the 312km version next Saturday.

Happy safe riding

Garret

• Brian Doyle
11 years 4 months ago #4639 by Brian Doyle
Replied by Brian Doyle on topic Midweek Evening Cycling

up the DOUBLE WALL-(2km of Ireland's steepest road possibly)

I tried this once, only hill in Dublin that ever beat me. Fair play to anybody on Tuesday that can complete it without stopping.

More
11 years 4 months ago #4683 by Garret Connolly
Hey all
no spin this tuesday as everyone is over in majorca or recovering from the torment of the rain....back to normal next tuesday and will email out details next sunday
However would fully expect a few people to head out by themselves at usual times and spots so feel free to pop along
garret

More
11 years 4 months ago #4712 by Garret Connolly
Hey all

Due to larger numbers and varying distances/standards we're going to split the group in 2 from next Tuesday. Both start at Harolds Cross Bridge Bike Shop at 6pm Tuesday passing 615pm at Yellow House Rathfarnam

Beginner-Medium Group will be 40-50km average and everyone is welcome to join in. We'll never leave anyone behind and will be at at pace that will suit everyone. We will regroup at the top of each hill and will build up to longer routes as the evenings get longer. While I return from injury I'll be leading this group alongside someone else on the evening so feel free to come along if you're rusty and want to get back in the saddle for the summer.
Lead my me(out for first time this year so go easy on me!)
Route will be Harolds Cross-Edmonstown-Featherbeds-Powerscourt-Poggio-Enniskerry-Stepaside-Dublin
50km

Medium-Advanced will min 50km up to 80km at a relatively brisk pace and agreed regrouping points at key points throughout the course. Most people on this would be fairly seasoned cyclists aiming for Wicklow 200/Marmotte/Etape etc etc. The routes will be challenging but anyone out so far this year will know the standard.
Route will be Harolds Cross-Blue Light Climb-Foxes-Devils Elbow-Enniskerry-Powerscourt-Wall-Enniskerry-Devils Elbow-Foxes-Stepaside-Dublin
Approx 60km-65km with 1 or 2 climbs

Ladies Intro to Group Cycling Course
Orwell's very own Celeste will be running a fab course for new ladies on all things to do with group cycling. Ideal for all new beginners who want to learn the skills needed. See link below. Fully recommended
www.orwellwheelers.org/news-and-events/4...to-group-riding.html

Best of luck to all the hardy souls doing the Orwell Randonnee on Saturday. Ireland's best sportif of the year and the best food stop in worldwide sport!

See you all out there on Tuesday

Garret

More
11 years 4 months ago #4747 by Garret Connolly
hope to see a few of you out this eve on this beautiful day...see below link to Stubborn Mule Sportif this week run by the An Garda Cycling Club from Westmanstown
gardacyclingclub.com/garda-cc-sportive/
Good day promised for all

More
11 years 4 months ago #4775 by Garret Connolly
Hey all

another bumper crowd last Tuesday!

This weeks route finishes in the Blue Light Pub where there is the annual prize giving of the Orwell Ladies Criterium League and Orwell Ras Fundraiser. Entry is €10 and there will be loads of great BBQ etc. All money raised will be used to support the Orwell legends race around Ireland against some of Europes finest pros...starts at 830pm

Meet at 6pm Tuesday Harolds Cross Bridge passing 615pm Yellow House

Beginner/Medium Group
Dublin-Blue Light-Foxes-Devils Elbow-Glencree-Featherbeds-Foxes-Blue Light BBQ
I won't be around tues as i'm away with work in the evening but Eoin will lead out. If anyone fancies a Tuesday morning spin let me know as I'll be out around 10am maybe to Laragh and back.

Medium-Advanced Group
Will let you guys decide on night but suggested route would be Dublin-Featerbeds-Powerscourt-Enniskerry-Devils Elbow-Blue Light BBQ...leader etc to be decided on night

Dublin Galway Cycle in aid of the Irish Heart Foundation
A few Tuesday night regulars including myself and Lynda are cycling to Galway on June 1st/2nd. We'd appreciate any sponsorship if anyone feeling generous! Link below
www.irishheart.ie/iopen24/donations.php?sID=588 under organisers names Lynda and Cathy Haran

See you all out there...happy cycling

Garret

More
11 years 4 months ago #4799 by Garret Connolly
Replied by Garret Connolly on topic Midweek Evening Cycling Tuesday
Hey All

next Tuesday starts at 6pm Harolds Cross Bridge then onto 615pm Yellow House. The group will then split into 2(slower medium group and faster longer hillier group)

Slower/Medium Group....still a challenging course with plenty of climbing. Ideal for anyone looking for a social Tuesday up the mountains. We'll never leave anyone behind and will regroup at the top of all major hill tops. I'll be leading this one out on Tuesday and will probably split into 2 groups(beginner and medium) further into the spin.
Route-Blue Light-Foxes-Devils Elbow-Glencree-Featherbeds-Dublin
approx 50km max

Faster Advanced Group....will let you guys decide on the night exact route/leader etc but suggested route would be Edmonstown-Featherbeds-Glencree-Sally Gap-Left towards Djouce-Djouce-Enniskerry-Dublin
approx 65km

Lights and Helmets are compulsory

See you all on Tuesday(please take a note of my number below in case of any mechanicals etc on the night)

cheers

Garret
ph 087 239 0130

More
11 years 3 months ago #4825 by Garret Connolly
hey all

looks like a cracker of a night later on so hope to see some of you out later. leaving 6pm harolds cross and 615pm yellow house sharp.

also planning on heading up the hills to Roundwood/Laragh tomorrow morn at 10amish if anyone is interested.

Garret 087 239 0130

More
11 years 3 months ago #4861 by Garret Connolly
Hey all

Best of luck to all heading to Kerry 3 Day or Galway Irish Heart Cycle this weekend....

Next week we're planning to kick the Tuesday's up a notch and add an approx 20km to the cycles. There will be extra climbing too and both groups will be considered very challenging across some large climbs but anyone who has been out over the last few weeks will be well able for it.

Both groups will leave from 6pm Harolds Cross Bridge bike shop heading to Yellow House at 615pm.

Both groups Fast(self lead by the group) and Medium(I'll be with this one) will do the same course but the medium group will regroup etc at the top of all major hills. This means anyone feeling the pace of the faster group can drop back to the medium group anywhere on the course.

Route will Blue Light-Devils Elbow-Enniskerry-THE WALL-Djouce-Sally Gap-Featherbeds-Home. Approx 70-75km Harolds Cross to Harolds Cross so its a fair task for a Tuesday night. Bring lights and no helmet no cycle....total climbing in the region of 1350metres. Expecting to be back 930-945pm

Any questions give us a shout

see you all tuesday

Garret

More
11 years 3 months ago #4915 by Garret Connolly
Hey all

best of luck to everyone doing the W100/200 tomorrow!

Same route as last week for Tuesday(see above)....hopefully the same glorious weather!

cheers

Garret

More
11 years 3 months ago #4969 by Garret Connolly
Hey all

Tuesday night is usual 6pm Harolds Cross bridge bike shop passing Yellow House at 615. 2 groups, fast(self lead) and slower(lead by me-will wait for everyone at top of major hills etc/never leave anyone behind)

Same route for both groups. Route plan for Tuesday is another 75km 1400metres of climbing so will be a testing challenge for everyone but anyone out this year so far will be well able for it.

Dublin-Edmonstown-Featherbeds-Sally Gap-Luggala-Djouce-Enniskerry-Devils Elbow-Foxes-Blue Light-Dublin

Hope to see you all there

garret

More
11 years 2 months ago #5022 by Garret Connolly
Dear all

route for this Tuesday will be 6pm Harolds Cross Bridge Bike Shop to 615pm Yellow House. Will then split into a self lead fast group and a slower group which I'll be with. The slower group will regroup a the top of all the hills and never leave anyone behind! There might be a 3rd group which Tom has suggested leading but will see on the night....

Route-Blue Light Climb-J Foxes-Devils Elbow-Enniskerry-WALL-Djouce-Luggala-Sally Gap-Col de Featherbeds KOM-Dublin
75km approx. with 1350metres of climbing so its challenging!

See you all there on Tuesday

cheers

More
11 years 2 months ago #5064 by Garret Connolly
Dear all

after last weeks detour we'll attempt the route again as below

route for this Tuesday will be 6pm Harolds Cross Bridge Bike Shop to 615pm Yellow House. Will then split into a self lead fast group and a slower group which I'll be with. The slower group will regroup a the top of all the hills and never leave anyone behind! There might be a 3rd group which Latern Rouge Tom has suggested leading but will see on the night....

Route-Blue Light Climb-J Foxes-Devils Elbow-Enniskerry-WALL-Djouce-Luggala-Sally Gap-Col de Featherbeds KOM-Dublin
75km approx. with 1350metres of climbing so its challenging!

See you all there on Tuesday

cheers

garret

More
11 years 2 months ago #5100 by Garret Connolly
Hi All

weather wasn't great for us last night so next Tuesday we'll attempt again to perform the route below.

Also anyone looking for local based challenge a few of us are planning on doing Bray Wheelers Paddy Martin sportif on July 13th. Details below

www.braywheelers.com/paddy-martin-randonee/

We'll be cycling to it and back again meaning the day will be approx 160km with plenty of little hard hills-one of the toughest tests of last year but without any major climbs just loads of small ones

Let me know who's interest to meet at Yellow House on the morning of the event

cheers

Garret

More
11 years 2 months ago #5101 by Garret Connolly
Hi All

weather wasn't great for us last night so next Tuesday we'll attempt again to perform the route below.

Also anyone looking for local based challenge a few of us are planning on doing Bray Wheelers Paddy Martin sportif on July 13th. Details below

We'll be cycling to it and back again meaning the day will be approx 160km with plenty of little hard hills-one of the toughest tests of last year but without any major climbs just loads of small ones

Let me know who's interest to meet at Yellow House on the morning of the event

cheers

Garret

More
11 years 2 months ago #5164 by Garret Connolly
Dear all

I won't be around on Tuesday as I'll be working but there is bound to be a few others out so feel free to turn up to the usual spots and times

I'll be out Wednesday at 6pm harolds cross 615 yellow house-up blue light-devils elbow-double WALL-djouce-luggala-sally gap-featherbeds home. All welcome

Paddy Martin Randonee

gang of us doing it and cycling from Dublin tomorrow morning. Plan is 8am Harolds Cross Bridge, 815/20 yellow house, 825/30 Joe Dalys then on to Enniskerry and Bray. We will not be waiting at Yellow house or Joes just rolling past so be there on time or you'll miss us....A great event by Bray wheelers and a great challenging course. Plan will be to get to Bray by 930 and start then.

Garret

087 239 0130

More
11 years 1 month ago #5210 by Garret Connolly
Hey all

Tuesday route is 6pm Harolds Cross Bridge and 615/20pm Yellow House.
From there we'll split into 2 groups of fast and slower. Plan would be to head to Blue Light-Foxes-Devils Elbow-Double WALL-Poggio-Enniskerry-Glencree-Featherbeds home. Around 70km

Wednesday will meet and do the opposite way round. Again 6pm Harolds Cross and 615 Yellow House

Cheers

Garret

Time to create page: 0.687 seconds