Sunday Spins 6 Nov

• Ken McCullagh
  • Topic Author
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #2707 by Ken McCullagh
Sunday Spins 6 Nov was created by Ken McCullagh
Took the first yellow group out, started with 12 people. A couple were struggling on the climbs and dropped back into the white after climbing out of bray. Swapped another in Roundwood after coffee, taking a strong white rider up into the yellow. Bit of a detour from the main route from Roundwood on, we went up over Ballinastoe into Enniskerry, and then the group split at Enniskery, 4 heading on down to Dundrum via the Scalp, and a couple of us went up from Enniskery to the Devils Elbow.

My computer rebooted in kilcoole, so we had 28.4 + 47.4km, avg circa 22km/h with the climbing. Quite a long spin though time-wise for the distance, left off around 9:35 or so, got back to dundrum at 2:10 or so. Great spin though, very enjoyable, great group of people who really deserve their lunch :)

Strava route in 2 parts
app.strava.com/rides/2234802
app.strava.com/rides/2234807

Couple of strong riders I've suggested moving up to the Orange group next week.

One thing that everyone coming out on the spins needs to be doing is eating and drinking enough during the ride - there's no point in having a good breakfast and then waiting till the coffee stop to refuel - at that stage it's too late. You need to be eating and drinking throughout, every 15-20 mins a mouthful of a bar or some jellies, and a couple of sips of water or energy drink. You have to get used to eating before you are hungry, and drinking before you get thirsty. If you lose your energy reserves you will struggle to get home, and you will be miserable.

Err on the side of caution, take an extra bar or two as well as what you think you'll need, worst case you bring them home with you, it's not a huge load to be carrying. Bananas are also good, as the replenish your potassium levels and help prevent cramps. Also most people should probably be carrying TWO bottles of water/energy drink, especially on days which look cold and you end up overdressed, you'll sweat more than normal. Again better to be carrying too much water than too little, worst case it's a bit of training weight.

Obviously if you're very experienced and know how much fuel/drink you need to stay out on the bike for 4-5 hours, then fair enough, but I'm talking more-so to the new members who will not be as aware of their bodies needs to comfortably get around.
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by Ken McCullagh.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #2708 by Brian Carolan
Replied by Brian Carolan on topic Re: Sunday Spins 6 Nov
Large Orange group split ( to accommodate a coffee stop group) before Enniskerry and Robbie / Brian led a very well marshaled group down the coast Rd and over to Roundwood. This was the best controlled group I've been in for quite a while.

More ''up and overs'' than a jockey at Cheltenham - the whole group got a great work out and came home together. Couldn't ask for more on a perfect day for a spin.

• Gary Fleming
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #2709 by Gary Fleming
Replied by Gary Fleming on topic Re: Sunday Spins 6 Nov
Great spin out from the park today. Thanks lads and lass! Glorious weather. Fast enough pace on the way out and staedy enough on the way back. Felt better again today. Spin average 29.3kph (I turned off for Kildare), my own for the day was 28.5 for 103km.
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by Gary Fleming.

More
12 years 10 months ago #2710 by Neal Hudson
Replied by Neal Hudson on topic Re: Sunday Spins 6 Nov
Another great day out with the Red group - around a hundred from the Park and back, frosty to start with but the pace was quick at the start to warm up. Kind of getting to know Meath at this stage, although still wouldn't fancy leading the group!

Days like today are the reason for getting out of bed on a Sunday morning, really clear and crisp, blue sky the whole day, was great.

More
12 years 10 months ago #2711 by Denis Gleeson
Replied by Denis Gleeson on topic Re: Sunday Spins 6 Nov
White group had a few new riders and we all covered the distance at an average pace for the day of 20.7kph.

The coffee shop in Roundwood was an amazing sight when I got there. Club members inside and outside. We must find venues with larger coffee houses.

Time to create page: 0.217 seconds