Lab rats wanted!

More
12 years 11 months ago #2663 by Dave Mc
Lab rats wanted! was created by Dave Mc
This might be of interest to someone around here- free testing...

From the Institute for Sport & Health, UCD:

Wanted!!!!

Cyclists / Triathletes
(aged 18 – 40 y/o)

To take part in a research study at the Institute for Sport & Health, UCD

‘The physiological effects of using low-intensity neuromuscular electrical stimulation (NMES) for short-term recovery between maximal aerobic cycling trials’

For more information please take an information leaflet below or contact John on 087-6418602 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

STUDY INFORMATION

My name is John Malone and I am researcher at the School of Public Health, Physiotherapy and Population Science at University College Dublin. I am currently looking for trained cyclists/ triathletes aged between 18 and 40 y/o to participate in our research project.

The title of my research is ‘The physiological effects of using low-intensity neuromuscular electrical stimulation (NMES) for short-term recovery between maximal aerobic cycling trials’.

We are doing this research to assess if NMES can enhance recovery from high intensity aerobic exercise, which is applicable to a sporting population.

Neuromuscular electrical stimulation (NMES) involves using a muscle stimulator to deliver electrical signals to the leg muscles via electrodes placed on the skin using adhesive gel. These electrical pulses will cause the leg muscles to contract and relax rhythmically.

The results we obtain from the tests will be analysed and a report on this data will be written up and may be forwarded for publication in a scientific journal.

Participants will be required to attend the laboratory at the Institute for Sport and Health at UCD four times (see below) in total during a 3-week period (there will be a minimum time period of 72 hrs between sessions):

- Session 1: (~ 1.5 hrs)

• Body composition analysis (height, weight, body fat percentage)
• VO2max exercise testing on cycle ergometer for determination of maximal aerobic capacity.

- Sessions 2-4: (~1 - 1.5 hrs) Two maximal aerobic cycling trials on a cycle ergometer. The trials will be interspersed by a 30 minute recovery intervention period, which includes one of three randomly assigned interventions:

• Low-intensity NMES (20 min)
• Active Recovery (involves continuous low-intensity cycling, which is set to a power output equivalent to 30% of your VO2max) (20 min)
• Passive recovery (seated) (20 min)

In a sub-group of participant’s, lower body blood flow through the femoral artery will be recorded during the recovery intervention period by Doppler Ultrasound imaging. The use of the Doppler ultrasound is a completely non-invasive and painless procedure, which will be performed by a trained medical Doppler sonographer. .

Benefits to the participants include valuable information about their:

- Maximal Aerobic Capacity (VO2max): the maximum capacity of the body to transport and utilize oxygen during an incremental cycling test. Information such as power output at VO2max and ventilatory threshold (which occurs at a similar stage to lactate threshold) will be determined which will be valuable information to incorporate into your training programme.

- Breath by Breath Analysis: you will be connected to a breath-by-breath analyser (via a face mask). Your breaths will be analysed for a multitude of parameters, including oxygen uptake, ventilation and energy expenditure. This will be valuable information for your training programme.

- Maximal Aerobic Cycling Trials: comparison of maximal aerobic cycling trials performed will be compared across 3 testing days for total work performed, oxygen uptake, energy expenditure, heart rate and blood lactate.

- Comparison Feedback: all your results will be compiled into a data report for you after testing is completed. Participant’s individual scores will be 100% confidential and unidentifiable by other participants. However, you will be able to rank your scores to the study group population, by comparing your score to the group average, minimum and maximum scores. Therefore you can rank yourself among your competition!!

Full ethical clearance has been granted for this project by the UCD Research Ethics Committee.
Participants must be healthy trained cyclists/ triathletes, aged 18 – 40 y/o. Participation is voluntary with participants free to withdraw at any stage and for any reason they see fit.
Any participant who chooses to participate in this research will be fully informed about all aspects of the study protocol as well as being supplied with a comprehensively detailed participant information document and an informed consent form which they will receive prior to their first visit to the laboratory.
If you have any queries, do not hesitate to contact me
Kind Regards
John.

John Malone BSc., MSc., CPT, CSCS
PhD Researcher,
Stim XDP Research Group,
Institute of Sport and Health,
Newstead Building,
University College Dublin,
Belfield,
Dublin 4

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #2665 by Neal Hudson
Replied by Neal Hudson on topic Re: Lab rats wanted!
Free testing! Nice one, will put my name down for this

• Ken McCullagh
12 years 11 months ago #2666 by Ken McCullagh
Replied by Ken McCullagh on topic Re: Lab rats wanted!
Me too!

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds