How to keep cool on your indoor trainer

More
3 years 6 months ago #34633 by BarryR
So you've got your indoor trainer, and you've got your account on Zwift or TrainerRoad, and you've got your computer and wifi working right. Here's what you need next - a smart fan.

As outdoor temperatures get a little warmer and we continue to spend more time than we would like on our trainers, the issue of keeping cool gets more important.

Like most, I was using a typical table-top domestic fan to give a cooling airflow. That was ok, and better than nothing, but inevitably it was too cold sometimes and not cold enough other times. When just starting a session it always felt too cold, but if I turned it down a bit then later I knew it would not be cold enough. More than once I ended up shouting for a family member to come and turn it up or down.

Then I got a present of a Wahoo Headwind - problem solved. It turns itself up and down automatically as my heart rate goes up and down. So when I'm working hard the fan is at max, and when I'm taking it easy the fan is just idling. The effect is like magic, you hardly notice the fan. The cool air is there when you need it and gone when you don't. The Headwind is (very) pricey, so the trick is to convince someone to give you one for your birthday. Or start your campaign now to get them to give you one next Christmas.

Review on dcrainmaker:
www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/07/wahoo-headwi...in-depth-review.html

I should make clear that I'm just a satisfied user, not connected to Wahoo.

Not on Whatsapp. Contact me on Signal app instead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Declan Quigley, Stephen McNally, Fergal O'Sullivan, Kieran Doohan, Louise Keane, Fergal Quinn

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #34638 by Darran Kearney
Replied by Darran Kearney on topic How to keep cool on your indoor trainer
A lower tech solution is get a air mover type fan like this www.cleva-uk.com/collections/vacmaster-a.../vacmaster-air-mover

they have a remote controlled one out now www.cleva-uk.com/collections/vacmaster-a...cmaster-cardio54-fan

Not shipping direct to EU from their own website at the moment due to the Brexit fun and games, but you should be able to pick the first one up on Amazon. I've been using it for a few years and its fantastic.

For winter I have a small cheap blow heater fan I got in Lidl for about €15 which I have set to warm. In winter I have that aimed at the air mover so the cold winter air is warmed a bit, especially early in a workout.

I have both fans controlled by remote sockets that you can get in powercity etc for less than €10. Wont give you the same control as the Headwind as the fan is set to either on or off, but it helps a lot, especially in winter when it's hard to get the temp right
The following user(s) said Thank You: Declan Quigley, BarryR, Kieran Doohan, Fergal Quinn

More
3 years 6 months ago #34641 by BarryR
Replied by BarryR on topic How to keep cool on your indoor trainer
What would be really neat is a HR-controlled remote control for a fan like that one. That would give you the automatic adjustment of the fan as you work harder or easier, like the Wahoo fan but much cheaper.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Stephen McNally

More
3 years 6 months ago #34646 by Darran Kearney
Replied by Darran Kearney on topic How to keep cool on your indoor trainer
Keith Wakeham was trying to do that, but gave up with all the regulatory hassle it was going to take for a small company to sort out an international launch. He does some interesting vids on youtube. Also has a remote now for Zwift which you can put on your handlebars which act as keyboard to control powerups, camera angle etc.

The fan controller has been open sourced for those technically minded

maelstrom.me/

This is the zwift remote

titanlab.co/715-2/

More
3 years 6 months ago #34647 by Aidan Hammond
Replied by Aidan Hammond on topic How to keep cool on your indoor trainer
Using a standard fan, set it up behind your bike blowing forward. Have it on for about 15 mins before you do your session. Obviously windows open.
Wet your towel before session, great for cooling you down during the session.
Wear a head sweat band (very 80's i know but works!)
Dont do any more than 1 hour
The following user(s) said Thank You: Declan Quigley, Louise Keane, Darran Kearney, Barry Greene

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #34648 by Declan Quigley
Replied by Declan Quigley on topic How to keep cool on your indoor trainer
Tailwind FTW!
This is my favourite forum thread of the last 12 months. I was a desk fan turbo training early adopter but it looks like I'm going to have to up my marginal home trainer gains. The head band is one I cottoned on to, so to speak, a little while ago. I cut up a t-shirt to make one. Recent selfie attached.
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Declan Quigley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Louise Keane, Daniel McElroy, Donal O'Connor

More
3 years 6 months ago #34653 by BarryR
Replied by BarryR on topic How to keep cool on your indoor trainer
The lockdown hairstyle is getting way out of hand there Declan.

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds