Cyclocross bike recommendations

More
5 years 8 months ago #28867 by Joan O'Connell
Cyclocross bike recommendations was created by Joan O'Connell
Hi folks, Quick question from a newbie.

Can anyone recommend an entry level cyclocross bike, around the <€1000-1500 price mark?

Ideally something available in Dublin or elsewhere in Ireland, as I'd prefer to support local businesses and ensure the fit is right.

(I bought a cheapo one from Halfords last year to see how I'd get on getting back into cycling post-RTC which totalled my prvious bike, but now I'm looking to upgrade a little.)

Many thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #28868 by Leonard Kaye
Replied by Leonard Kaye on topic Cyclocross bike recommendations
The lads and lassies in Joe Daly Cycles will sort you out

www.joedalycycles.com/

Cheers
Leonard
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Leonard Kaye.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joan O'Connell

More
5 years 8 months ago #28872 by Luke GJ Potter
Replied by Luke GJ Potter on topic Cyclocross bike recommendations
The bike features you should ask for are Hydro brakes and 12mm Thru Axels and if possible Tubeless Wheels. Your budget might be stretching all three.

The Novatech CXD are the best Value after-market wheelset (just put locktite in the stupid Italian Threads).

If you're looking at Giant, some of their bikes have the reservoir on the stem faceplate, which makes it impossible to mount a Garmin.

If you plan to ride it on the roads, get a 2x front chainring setup, as the 1x on the road is extremely annoying with Cadence.

Ask them for a 34t inner ring (as most CX bikes come with a 36t) and get a long cage derailleur and at least a 32t on the back, as the larger tyres makes the gears harder.

Also get an extra Derailleur hanger or two.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joan O'Connell

More
5 years 8 months ago #28873 by Martin Donohue
Replied by Martin Donohue on topic Cyclocross bike recommendations
Hi Joan.
What size frame are you looking for.

More
5 years 8 months ago #28876 by Joan O'Connell
Replied by Joan O'Connell on topic Cyclocross bike recommendations
Hi Martin,
Cheers - my current bike frame is 48cm, and the standover height is a little... snug. So that or the next size down. (I'm around 5'3" myself.)

More
5 years 8 months ago #28877 by Joan O'Connell

The lads and lassies in Joe Daly Cycles will sort you out

www.joedalycycles.com/

Cheers
Leonard

Thanks, Leonard, I'll take a trip to JD's over the next week or two, and see what's available.

The bike features you should ask for are Hydro brakes and 12mm Thru Axels and if possible Tubeless Wheels. Your budget might be stretching all three.

The Novatech CXD are the best Value after-market wheelset (just put locktite in the stupid Italian Threads).

If you're looking at Giant, some of their bikes have the reservoir on the stem faceplate, which makes it impossible to mount a Garmin.

If you plan to ride it on the roads, get a 2x front chainring setup, as the 1x on the road is extremely annoying with Cadence.

Ask them for a 34t inner ring (as most CX bikes come with a 36t) and get a long cage derailleur and at least a 32t on the back, as the larger tyres makes the gears harder.

Also get an extra Derailleur hanger or two.

Thanks, Luke, for the handy tips. And yes to extra hangers! I got stung recently with a bit of a dramatic rear mech disaster - thankfully the hanger did its job, but I had to wait to get it replaced, which was a bit of a headwrecker.

More
5 years 8 months ago #28878 by Martin Donohue
Replied by Martin Donohue on topic Cyclocross bike recommendations
Ok Joan. I will ask around.

More
5 years 8 months ago #28882 by Joan O'Connell
Great, thanks Martin.

More