Ronan Grimes representing Ireland at the Para-Cycling Track World Championships

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #25557 by Louise Keane
RTE News has a piece on the Irish team heading to Rio for the Para-cycling Track world Champs and its great to see our club mate Ronan Grimes in on the team and gets a mention in the piece!

The championships take place from the 22nd to 25th of March in Rio.

Best of luck Ronan, we looking forward to hearing how you get on.

www.rte.ie/sport/cycling/2018/0314/94732...am-for-para-cycling/
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Louise Keane.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, Declan Quigley, Brian Mc, Dave Murnane, Ken Moloney

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #25560 by Declan Quigley
Fantastic news. Congratulations Ronan and give it loads!

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #25683 by Louise Keane
Replied by Louise Keane on topic Ronan is Roaring in Rio!
As some of you will have seen from social media, Ronan had a fantastic race in Rio last night. He finished 9th overall on his debut and with a PB! This is the Press Release from Cycling Ireland with some quotes from the man himself:

Grimes Debuts with 9th in Kilo at the Para-cycling Track Worlds in Rio

Dublin based Ronan Grimes broke into the top ten in the 1km Time Trial at his first track world championship event finishing in ninth place tonight; gold went to GB’s Jody Cundy ahead of Jozef Metelka (Slovakia) and USA’s Jacob Waters taking bronze.

Colin Lynch was 13th in the Individual Pursuit which was won by Canada’s Tristen Chernove ahead of Guihua Liang (CHN). Arslan Gilmutdinov from Russia rounded off the podium with bronze. The UCI 2018 Para-cycling Track World Championships take place in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil from the 22-25 March.

“That was a great experience,” said Galway born Grimes after the 1km race, where his finishing time was 1.11.595. “The time of 1.11 is something I would have grabbed at before the race, so I have to be happy with that, and it’s a top ten too. I have a lot of positives to take from it – and a lot to learn too.

“I kind of pulled a bit too early at the gate so I lost a bit of momentum at the start of race. When it is just four laps it is over before you know it – so it was all a kind of blur until I heard that last bell.”

The 29-year-old Scott-Orwell Wheelers rider enjoyed his track cycling debut at a major championships – “The track isn’t something I have a whole lot of experience in and the kilo is not something I have a speciality in. The nerves were setting in an hour or so beforehand. The hour went by very quickly, and I was up on the boards before I knew it!

“On Saturday I will race in the pursuit – and hopefully that is something I have more aptitude for, with my endurance background.” Tomorrow Grimes will get an opportunity to recover before competing again on Saturday and Sunday.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, Declan Quigley, Dave Murnane, Donal O'Connor, Ken Moloney

More
6 years 5 months ago #25694 by Louise Keane
Ronan making the Galway papers too:)
galwaybayfm.ie/galway-born-ronan-grimes-...ng-track-worlds-rio/

Ronan is in action again tonight so while we are in the pub at the club social think of Ronan and wish him luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Darragh Connolly

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #25701 by Louise Keane
Replied by Louise Keane on topic Ronan still roaring in Rio!
A quick update from Rio.....

Ronan went one better tonight and finished 8th in the C4 Pursuit!!

paraworlds2018.veloresults.com/viewEvent.php?event=8

Photos of Ronan and some of his team mates in action today thanks to Cycling Ireland....
www.cyclingireland.ie/cycling-news-item/...-championships/14945

And I love that Ronan is already looking forward to next season -
After the MC4 Pursuit, Grimes was happy with his result, describing a high standard race – “The standard of riders in the top ten today was very high, with most having medalled at world championships before. Going into it I thought I might have gone a couple of seconds faster, but perhaps got my pacing slightly off.

“Still, the results from today’s pursuit and Thursday’s kilo have left me with some good benchmarks to work on and improve on over the next season.”
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Declan Quigley, Garret Connolly, Donal O'Connor, Darragh Connolly, Ken Moloney

More
6 years 5 months ago #25719 by Louise Keane
Replied by Louise Keane on topic Ronan finishes in style
Ronan Grimes capped off a sensational Track World Championship debut by finishing 8th in the combined C4-5 Scratch race.

Ronan was actually the 3rd C4 bike across the line but as it was a combined category he was unlucky to miss out on a medal... next time!!

www.cyclingireland.ie/cycling-news-item/...cessful-worlds/14947

photo thanks to Cycling Ireland
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, Dave Murnane, Donal O'Connor, Darragh Connolly, Peter Morrissey

More
6 years 5 months ago #25733 by Ronan Grimes
Just a quick message to say thanks for all the support over the past week. It was very much appreciated!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, Declan Quigley, Brian Mc, Garret Connolly, Louise Keane, Nick Appleby, Ken Moloney

Time to create page: 0.703 seconds