Road Bike/Racer recommendations wanted

More
6 years 7 months ago #25324 by Sarah McDonagh
Road Bike/Racer recommendations wanted was created by Sarah McDonagh
Hello,

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum location.

I’m looking for recommendations for a new road bike/racer. I currently have an old Lappiere that I’ve outgrown.

I’m thinking of venturing onto a carbon bike, does anyone have any recommendations for a bike (carbon or other). Budget is around €1500 give or take.

My local bike shop has a carbon Mekk Poggio on sale - has anyone heard anything about Mekk bikes, good or bad?

Thanks,
Sarah

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #25325 by Rory Fogarty
Replied by Rory Fogarty on topic Road Bike/Racer recommendations wanted
Have had good personal experience with Giant - from a quality and value point of view.

www.giant-dublin.ie/ie/langma-advanced-3-2018

If bike to work is an option for you, I'd say you might not find better value on a good carbon racer than this

Hope this helps!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarah McDonagh

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #25329 by Eugène SKIL
Replied by Eugène SKIL on topic Road Bike/Racer recommendations wanted
I think the most important is the fit. I had a commuter for 13yrs that was 2 sizes too big. I finally swapped the frame last summer. As it was the commuter it was generally short enough distance so I got away with it, although I did do the SKT and the ROK on it as well as a few cycletours.

I don't know the Mekk bikes myself, except one is locked near where I lock my commuter!
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Eugène SKIL.

More
6 years 7 months ago #25332 by Bryan Geary
Replied by Bryan Geary on topic Road Bike/Racer recommendations wanted

Hello,

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum location.

I’m looking for recommendations for a new road bike/racer. I currently have an old Lappiere that I’ve outgrown.

I’m thinking of venturing onto a carbon bike, does anyone have any recommendations for a bike (carbon or other). Budget is around €1500 give or take.

My local bike shop has a carbon Mekk Poggio on sale - has anyone heard anything about Mekk bikes, good or bad?

Thanks,
Sarah

Hi Sarah, maybe drop down to Dave and ask him about their Scott range? 1/5th off the cost of a Scott Addict might not be too far off your budget.

www.orwellwheelers.org/home/news-and-eve...jdc-scott-offer-2018

a bike is the sum of its parts so whilst the frame might be carbon, have a look at the components and wheels and make sure they are satisfactory. There are plenty of decent bikes out there with better than entry level groupsets (105 or ultegra & potenza ) and wheels, so do a bit of homework and shop around. If you're like any of us, no sooner will the bike be dirty and you'll want something new on it anyway! I recommend upgrading wheels as quick as you can.

More
6 years 7 months ago #25336 by Stefan Foster
Replied by Stefan Foster on topic Road Bike/Racer recommendations wanted
Sarah,

I agree with Bryan - you should pop down to Dave Tansey in Joe Dalys. A friend bought a Scott bike from Dave (last week) and he had an excellent customer experience. Hope this helps?

Stef

More
6 years 7 months ago #25338 by Ken Moloney
Replied by Ken Moloney on topic Re:Road Bike/Racer recommendations wanted
Sarah
I bought a Scott bike off Dave Tansey in Joe Daly’s this time last year.
The guys gave me excellent advice and great recommendations. For example they brought me down a size from my old bike size and my new bike now fits like a glove. If I’d gone solo I’d still be riding a bike that bit too big for me.
You couldn’t go wrong speaking to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More
6 years 7 months ago #25340 by Andrew Potts
Replied by Andrew Potts on topic Road Bike/Racer recommendations wanted
I have had a great experience with the JD Scott club promotion of Scott. I bought mine two years ago and I love the thing. Like Ken, Dave brought me down a frame size and the Carbon bike has been a wonderful upgrade. I would recommend you try one as before I switched I wondered would it really make all that much difference? Well it does because everything is just a little bit better from geometry to components. Plus the expertise available calms the nerves when you finally make a purchase. Good luck
Andrew

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds