Minimum Passing Distance Law - upcoming debate on amendment

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #25174 by Catherine Swift
Robert Troy of Fianna Fail intends to propose legislation which defines a Minimum Passing Distance which motorists must give when overtaking cyclists (MPDL). He intends to introduce it as a proposed amendment to the Road Traffic (Amendment) Bill 2017 which will be debated at committee stage shortly. The idea was originally proposed by Ciaran Cannon as a private members bill, but never received time for Second Stage debate, and will not now that Ciaran Cannon has been made a Minister.

Shane Ross has to date expressed opposition on the basis of doubts he has around enforceability of MPDL. However, as Phil Skelton of the Stayin Alive at 1.5 campaign has highlighted, police in many other jurisdictions have taken enforcement action. Phil Skelton has also argued that having the minimum distance legally defined will also improve driver education and awareness as it makes what counts as 'dangerous overtaking' less subjective.

I’ve pasted below just in case anyone finds it useful as a template my own email to TDs in the Dun Laoghaire constituency. But if you live in Dublin Rathdown you might want to target something more specifically Minister Shane Ross.

This post is primarily directed at members who might wish to contact their own TDs as individuals (you can get contact details through www.whoismytd.com/).

However I also wonder could the club committee possibly also consider supporting this measure as a club? Something as simple as an open official letter to Shane Ross from the club would be great. Given that Orwell Wheelers has a base in the Ministers constituency and is the largest club in the country, Orwell might be in a fairly unique position of influence.

Sorry for length of this post and thanks for your attention!
-
Dear Deputy,

I am a local constituent of yours living in Orpen Green. I am writing to ask you to support the Robert Troy/FF amendment to the Road Traffic Bill 2017 to create a minimum passing distance for motorists overtaking cyclists. Deputy Troy has indicated that he will be bringing forward this amendment in the coming weeks.

As you may be aware, a similar measure, the Road Traffic (Minimum Passing Distance of Cyclists) Bill, was previously proposed by Ciarán Cannon and Regina Doherty in the form of a Private Members Bill. However, despite receiving all-party approval at its first reading, it never received a Second Reading due to the lottery system for private members bills and is very unlikely to receive a reading in future in that form now that the two members are ministers. Therefore, the upcoming amendment represents the best hope of introducing this necessary life saving measure.

For the past four years, the Stayin’ Alive at 1.5 Campaign founded by Wexford based Phil Skelton has been tirelessly campaigning for MPDL. This year, Phil Skelton was awarded an RSA Leading Light award in recognition of his efforts. During the time in which this campaign has been ongoing, another 13 jurisdictions introduced a similar Minimum Passing Distance Legislation which brings the total now to 42.

Minister Ross has recently stated that his concern in relation to MPDL is in relation to whether the measure is enforceable. However, as outlined by the 'Stayin Alive at 1.5' campaign, there are numerous ways in which it can be determined that a driver has overtaken a cyclist within a dangerously close range and enforcement has taken place in other jurisdictions through plain clothed police on bicycles identifying dangerous overtaking, both with and without the assistance of electronic measuring devices, and also in some areas through the use of private video footage from ordinary cyclists.

www.safecyclingireland.org/mpdl-enforcement-images/

www.safecyclingireland.org/mpdl-enforcement/

I urge you and your party colleagues to help get this safety measure over the line by voting in the Dáil in favour of the proposed amendment. I would also be grateful if you could respond letting me know your voting intentions with regard to the MPDL amendment and the overall Road Traffic Bill 2017.

Kind Regards,
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Catherine Swift.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Simon Kelehan, Eugène SKIL, Donal O'Connor, Tony McDowell, Andrew Potts, Brendan Kenny, Leonard Kaye, Ken Moloney, Eric Davis, Stefan Foster, Patrick Malone, Shaun Kelly

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #25266 by Andrew Potts
Just giving this a bump to push people to contact your TD is case you have not. A good passing distance for cyclists is what good drivers have always being doing. The recognition in law is for the bad drivers.

More
6 years 7 months ago #25348 by Eugène SKIL
I've been sending a few emails about this today to try to get the local TDs to support the measure, including Shane Ross.

It's incredible that he keeps saying its unenforceable. What on earth is he thinking? I wonder who told him it wasn't possible to enforce. Does he not know the technology at our disposal and the willingness of us all to participate in recording traffic on HD cameras
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ken Moloney

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #25366 by Eugène SKIL
I got a reply back from Shane Ross about how he is holding back support for the minimum passing amendment. this is what he said:

"I have asked the RSA to report to me by the end of February regarding the minimum passing distance and cyclist safety issues.

When I receive this report I will consider its recommendations carefully to see what further actions can be taken to improve cyclist safety."
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Eugène SKIL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Danny Moriarty, Ken Moloney

More
6 years 6 months ago #25446 by Shane Phelan
Big development on this issue today. Statement below just issued by the Department of Transport.

Minister Ross heeds call from cyclists to introduce “Stayin Alive at 1.5” Law

The Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport Shane Ross T.D. today announced that he will legislate for Minimum Passing Distance (MPD) in order to make our roads safer for cyclists. In line with best international practice, this will entail a MPD of 1 metre on roads with a speed limit not exceeding 50 km/h and 1.5 metres on all other roads.

Speaking today Minister Ross said; “I have been extremely concerned about the rise in cyclists fatalities on our roads. In 2017, there were 15 cyclists killed, which was a 50% increase on 2016. Clearly this is an intolerable situation which has to change. Every life lost on our roads is a tragedy and as Minister for Transport, I am committed to do everything within my power to prevent preventable road deaths.

It was brought to my attention that other jurisdictions apply a Minimum Passing Distance and I determined to undertake research to see if such legislation would benefit Irish cyclists. I particularly wished to know if the perceived difficulties in enforcing and prosecuting offences relating to MPD legislation were outweighed by the benefits.”

Minister Ross directed the RSA to carry out a study of best international practice and this will be published today on the Department’s website. While the report states that little conclusive evidence is currently available to support or rebut claims that MPD legislation will specifically address cyclist fatalities, greater awareness by both motorists and cyclists while overtaking was recognised as having safety benefits.

Minister Ross said; “If such awareness entails safer driving and fewer fatalities then it will be worth introducing the necessary legislation.”

As all existing overtaking offences are set out in secondary legislation, this is the most appropriate route for introducing MPD for cyclists. Following their finalisation and approval by the Office of the Attorney General, the regulations will be introduced, once the required equipment for measuring the minimum passing distance has been procured by An Garda Síochana.

Minister Ross added; “I am also proposing that the effectiveness of the new regulations be reviewed twelve months after their introduction.”

In the interim, the Road Safety Authority will be launching an awareness campaign this Friday (weather permitting) recommending that drivers allow at least one metre overtaking distance when passing cyclists in speed zones up to 50 km/h and at least 1.5 metres when passing on roads with speed limits of over 50 km/hour.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Louise Keane, Dave Murnane, Fergal Quinn, Danny Moriarty, Daniel McElroy, Kevin Connaire, Eugène SKIL, Luke GJ Potter, Ken Moloney

More
6 years 6 months ago #25452 by Kieran Doohan
Also this post by Shane indicating Orwell played a part in his thinking

The following user(s) said Thank You: Danny Moriarty, Conor Dowler

Time to create page: 0.757 seconds