Abus Helmets - Any Use?

More
7 years 2 months ago #23597 by Aoife Ross
Abus Helmets - Any Use? was created by Aoife Ross
Hi folks

I'm looking to buy a new helmet that has better ventilation than the current one. During recent cycles, my helmet turned into a mini oven, heating up my head until I had to get all dramatic and douse myself in some water! :)

I'm looking at two options (sticking with Abus, as I've no issue with the brand as it stands). Any advice on the comparison or even another recommendation would be appreciated! My budget is about €150

Option 1: amzn.to/2uvHAyt

Option 2: amzn.to/2u5Jd4U

Appreciate any tips/recommendations.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #23598 by Colin Costello
Replied by Colin Costello on topic Abus Helmets - Any Use?
Hi Aoife,

I've have owned an Abus lid in the past and it was fine. Presently I have a Kask and it's fine too so I wouldn't push one over the other as both brands make high quality helmets worn by pro riders and armatures alike.

Basically they all have to adhere to minimum safety standards and they are all fairly well ventilated these days. So it comes down to which one you like the look of best... Which is a very important consideration for road cyclists. ;-)

However if you want one sure way to make you helmet cooler (temperature not aesthetics) then buy a white one!

Regards,

Colin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aoife Ross

More
7 years 2 months ago #23599 by Gillian Baker
Replied by Gillian Baker on topic Abus Helmets - Any Use?
Hi Aoife,

I'm a cap girl and always wear one under my helmet. I think it may even help as a barrier with the heat and I never have to worry about helmet hair ;-)
I use a Giro helmet and have had no complaints at all, it serves its purpose and has the necessary amount of vents.
If I was on the look out for a new one I would definitely look at the Kask Mojito - read really good reviews for this and particularly like the strap support system.
I think its best if you can to try the helmets on for size and whatever feels comfortable to you, go with it. You're gonna sweat regardless :-)

G

More
7 years 2 months ago #23600 by Aoife Ross
Replied by Aoife Ross on topic Abus Helmets - Any Use?
Thanks @Colin - Definitely on the tip regarding white. Very useful. I'm definitely looking for something with plenty of ventilation as the ride at the weekend was painful!

@Gillian - Loving all the yoga pics on Instagram, so fair play! Thanks for the tip re the cap and I'll certainly give it a go. As for helmet hair - not even an issue as my mane does what it wants 100% of the time. :P

Both brands . (Abus / Kask) look equally as good and both in and around the same price, so I'll most likely go for Abus as it has a vital six extra vents! When I graduate from White to Red, you'll know it's down to the super aerodynamic, yet cool helmet!

You read it here first! :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gillian Baker

More
7 years 2 months ago #23601 by Gillian Baker
Replied by Gillian Baker on topic Abus Helmets - Any Use?
Lol... it must be a different Gillian? Because I'm no yogi :-)

My insta is LoveVeloRides :-)

More
7 years 2 months ago #23608 by Aoife Ross
I'm scarleh!

Found you on Instagram all right! Apologies! :)

More
7 years 2 months ago #23613 by Andrew Potts
Replied by Andrew Potts on topic Abus Helmets - Any Use?
Hi Aoife
I have one at the moment and its fine it had good ventalation and an inside mesh to catch bugs and keep then out. It was pretty light compared to similar priced helmets at the time I got it half price from cycleware.eu The straps and fixings, finish stickers are all still on after a year or more of use. Some of the internal pads do look a little tired but to be honest the helmet has had a lot of use. It cleans up nicily with baby wipes on the surface and the hi viz detail stll looks good. Abus make locks and a number of other things they have a reputation for pretty solid stuff. I chose white because it bascally goes with anything

More
7 years 2 months ago #23614 by Valerie Dunne
Replied by Valerie Dunne on topic Abus Helmets - Any Use?
Hi Aoife,

I've got a Spiuk Dharma helmet and I love it. I've a small head and any helmet I've had in the past (namely Giros) didn't fit me properly. I got mine on Merlin cycles - it was €110 cheaper than Wheelworx out in Liffey Valley. Delivery was excellent. It comes with the regular padding around the inside of the helmet, it always comes with an additional padding insert which has mesh in it to keep the flies out. Also an extra solid plastic piece (it's removable) that covers the whole helmet which will be handy for the winter - and all this with a nice little carrying bag. Here's the link to the website I used.

www.merlincycles.com/spiuk-dharma-road-helmet-95914.html

More
7 years 2 months ago #23615 by Luke GJ Potter
Replied by Luke GJ Potter on topic Abus Helmets - Any Use?
Hi Aoife,

I know you have Amazon links above, but for helmets I'd recommend going to a Bike Shop who sells a brand that offers a Crash Replacement (Usually 40% off a replacement lid).

Specialized offer a replacement and I think Kask do too.

More
7 years 2 months ago #23621 by Aoife Ross
Thanks for that Valerie

I've actually spotted that very helmet and liked the look of it. Unfortunately, there aren't enough vents. I'm very close to doing a Britney on it and shaving all my hair off - but a new helmet might be a good start... :)

More
7 years 2 months ago #23622 by Aoife Ross
Thanks Luke

Yet again, proving to be a wealth of knowledge! There's a local shop in Stillorgan that stocks them, so I'll spin down later and check them out.

More
7 years 1 month ago #23664 by Glenn Daly
Replied by Glenn Daly on topic Abus Helmets - Any Use?
Bought one of these a few weeks ago before the Etape.... white in colour to avoid the heat.

www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=96968

Recommend it.

More
7 years 1 month ago #23680 by Aoife Ross
Thanks Glenn

I tried it on for size but alas, it just didn't sit properly. The Kask Mojito was the final winner- felt like a crown on my head! It arrives tomorrow and I'm bizarrely excited....think I need to get out more! :P

More
7 years 1 month ago #23681 by Glenn Daly
Replied by Glenn Daly on topic Abus Helmets - Any Use?
Looks like a nice lid!

More
7 years 1 month ago #23691 by Colin Costello
Replied by Colin Costello on topic Abus Helmets - Any Use?
Good choice!

Just have to make sure the sunnies fit ok under the up-n-down pivot fitting system.

....damn might need a pair of Oakleys now ;)

More
7 years 1 month ago #23692 by Aoife Ross
Hey
I have no idea so it'll be interesting to see if they fit. Spent a few punts this week upgrading bits and bobs on the bike...sure what's about few :)

Time to create page: 0.343 seconds