Look cleats - 9 degrees float

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #21615 by Rory Fogarty
Look cleats - 9 degrees float was created by Rory Fogarty
Hey there!

Anyone have any experience with the 9degrees float 'red' Look cleats? I've been using the 4degrees 'grey' ones and more like to try having more float.

Any info or tips would be appreciated!

Regards,

Rory
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Rory Fogarty.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #21621 by David Swift
Replied by David Swift on topic Look cleats - 9 degrees float
If you're looking for a middle ground the Garmin Vector cleats come with a 6° float and they'll be compatible with Look Keo. I have a new set if you'd like to buy them from me as I prefer the 4° myself

More
7 years 6 months ago #21628 by Colin Costello
Replied by Colin Costello on topic Look cleats - 9 degrees float
Hi Rory,

Firstly I'd ask you why you want more float?

I used the grey cleats for quite a while but tried the reds for a change. Personally I found them desperate, way too much float which made me feel very disconnected from the bike especially out of the saddle, also when climbing in the 'shut up legs' zone I found my feet going all over the place which in turn meant my knees were tracking awkwardly. I went back to grey cleats and started to pay a lot more attention to where the cleats were positioned on my shoes. Specifically I pushed them back aft of the shoe sole. I also found the angle the cleat was pointing critical for me. Once I got everything dialled in I even used the black cleats with no float and found them fine!

It's also worth noting that clipping out of pedals with lots of float can be a pain.

Hope this helps but either way buying the wrong cleats isn't the biggest mistake you can make.

Colin

More
7 years 6 months ago #21630 by Rory Fogarty
Replied by Rory Fogarty on topic Look cleats - 9 degrees float
Cheers Colin/David,

I was thinking of the 9degreese ones as I have been struggling with a bit of lateral knee pain. Everything I have read suggests that 9degrees is overkill as you have explained Colin

I am currently trying out more a more 'outward' config on the cleat and actually it is feeling pretty good

More
7 years 6 months ago #21634 by Patrick Malone
Replied by Patrick Malone on topic Look cleats - 9 degrees float
Hi Rory
Have you tried speedplay cleats? Due to severe knee problems I had to change from look to speedplay, and I find them brilliant. Plenty of float and very happy knees!!
Pat

More
7 years 6 months ago #21635 by Nick Appleby
Replied by Nick Appleby on topic Look cleats - 9 degrees float
Have you had a bike fit done, Rory? It's well worth the money for the pain it can save you from. I would recommend Aidan Hammond if you were thinking of it.

More
7 years 6 months ago #21648 by Rory Fogarty
Cheers Nick,

Aidan has been recommended to me a lot!! I think that will be my next move, cheers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nick Appleby

More
7 years 6 months ago #21649 by Rory Fogarty
Thanks Patrick! No hadn't heard of them, will look into it!

Cheers

More
7 years 6 months ago #21653 by BarryR
Replied by BarryR on topic Look cleats - 9 degrees float
A vote for Speedplay Zero - lots of benefits but one is that float is completely adjustable. You adjust the limit for heel-out & heel-in separately.

The pedals are also double sided, so no more trying to flip them over to click in.

They are a bit expensive but they last much longer than others and can be serviced.

Not on Whatsapp. Contact me on Signal app instead.

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds