Did anyones gloves work in this mornings hailstorm

More
8 years 7 months ago #14289 by James McCluskey
I was on this mornings hail storm shortened orange spin. After half an hour my hands were freezing anyway. When I got home they were even worse I was dipping them in warm water and shaking them around trying to get heat back into them! It was not a pleasant experience ☺ Long story short are there any gloves that keep you toasty in those type of conditions?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #14291 by David Swift
Replied by David Swift on topic Did anyones gloves work in this mornings hailstorm
I have a pair of neoprene Endura glives which work pretty well in cold/wet conditions. They work the same as a wetsuit so your hands will get wet and clammy but should stay somewhat warm. They're also a fairly thin material so make operating gears/brakes or taking things from your pockets really easy
The following user(s) said Thank You: James McCluskey

More
8 years 7 months ago #14298 by James McCluskey
Replied by James McCluskey on topic Did anyones gloves work in this mornings hailstorm
Cool I actually have a pair of neoprene gloves already I only ever use them when it's warmer! I'll try them next week!

More
8 years 7 months ago #14300 by Jonathan O'Reilly
Replied by Jonathan O'Reilly on topic Did anyones gloves work in this mornings hailstorm
I agree with David, I use assos rain gloves, neoprene too. They are quite thick so you wouldn't be tapping out a rachmaninov concerto with ease!
I also recommend wearing a thin glove underneath, like a liner from a ski glove. Your hands feel less clammy as a result, and the extra layer adds insulation.
Cheers, jonny

More
8 years 7 months ago #14302 by Kevin Connaire
Replied by Kevin Connaire on topic Did anyones gloves work in this mornings hailstorm
I had a pair of Gore Bike Wear Windstoppers on the trip today..They kept my heads completely dry and warm. Wish my leggings did the same!, I highly recommend them. Kevin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: James McCluskey

More
8 years 7 months ago #14307 by Ian Anderson
Replied by Ian Anderson on topic Did anyones gloves work in this mornings hailstorm
I have the Endura Neoprene gloves as well, they take a little while to warm up but are great when they do.
However after today I think I might have to invest in a pair of waterproof winter socks.

More
8 years 7 months ago #14308 by Andrew Potts
Replied by Andrew Potts on topic Did anyones gloves work in this mornings hailstorm
In conditions like today I have used my Orwell Winter gloves with a domestic rubber glove over them. It keeps your hands dry and warm. It works really well. I cut them down to just the same cuff as the gloves I,m using. Unfortunatly I ripped the ones I have used and I,m looking for a larger glove to replace them.
It's a easy cheap fix that I would say works surprisingly well. Easy to carry and to put on if conditions go wet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tommy Smith, Darragh Connolly, James McCluskey

More
8 years 7 months ago #14310 by Brian Mc
I'm wondering about a decent pair of socks. I've tried all the tricks with clingfilm, tinfoil, latex gloves, two pairs... any recommendations?

More
8 years 7 months ago #14313 by Ken O'Neill
Replied by Ken O'Neill on topic Did anyones gloves work in this mornings hailstorm
Hi Brian

I wear Defeet Woolie Boolie socks which I find quite good www.wiggle.co.uk/defeet-woolie-boolie-2-6-cuff-socks/.
Generally on a really cold day I will wear these with 2 pairs of shoe covers and that will keep my feet reasonably warm. Problem I had yesterday was I only wore one pair of Shoe covers :-(

More
8 years 7 months ago #14323 by Danny Moriarty
Replied by Danny Moriarty on topic Did anyones gloves work in this mornings hailstorm
Hi Brian
I struggled (and still do) with cold feet on the winter audaxes but found seal skinz socks pretty good - I bought them in a camping store but these look pretty similar
www.wheelies.co.uk/p85647/SealSkinz-Thick-Mid-Length-Socks.aspx

More
8 years 7 months ago #14324 by David Swift
Replied by David Swift on topic Did anyones gloves work in this mornings hailstorm
Working for Deliveroo I found a good fix for avoiding cold/feet. Wear a Marino wool pair of socks, put a sandwich bag on like a sock, make sure you get a bag that will cover the whole foot, then put a think sock over, this will avoid the lack of friction from the sandwich bag inside the shoe, then shoes. Is used this without a shoe cover and found it kept the water out during heavy storms for a couple hours, ensuring warm feet. If you add an overshoe your feet should stay dry and warm for your entire spin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Danny Moriarty

More
8 years 7 months ago #14327 by Ian Anderson
Replied by Ian Anderson on topic Did anyones gloves work in this mornings hailstorm
I wear the woolie boolie sockets as well and there gift in the cold problem I had yesterday was the water came up off the road and in under my Endura shoe covers.
Got these in cyclesuper store which I'll be looking forward to trying.
www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=66706

More
8 years 7 months ago #14330 by Paul Walsh
Thanks lads. Now I know how Tom Crean felt in the Antarctic. Feet were like blocks of ice. The water comes up through the soles of the shoes. I'll try out some of those tips.

More
8 years 7 months ago #14341 by Mervyn Bent
Replied by Mervyn Bent on topic Did anyones gloves work in this mornings hailstorm
Found putting plastic bag between my shoes and over shoes (black tape helps the plastic neatly in place) keeps you dry and warm and is not as sweaty as wearing plastic between foot and shoes.
On my hands I have cycling mittens which work real well as fingers keep each other warm, only got one cold thumb.

More
8 years 7 months ago #14347 by Louise Keane
Replied by Louise Keane on topic Did anyones gloves work in this mornings hailstorm
For the feet first thing to do is take the insoles out of your shoes and see if there are any holes where cleats are, some shoes also have vents - I sealed all these up with Gaff Tape and it makes a big difference, water cant get in from underneath anymore:)

I have a pair of Defeet wool socks which are my go to ones in the cold. Not too bulky that I cant move my feet in the shoes. I made that mistake once and my toes nearly froze!

Lately, I discovered a €6 pair of lycra over socks on Wiggle -DHB ones. I now wear these under my Orwell overshoes.

With the combo of all the above my feet have been very cosy this year:)

Time to create page: 0.439 seconds