Patrick O'Brien RIP

• Lorraine Flood
8 years 11 months ago #12725 by Lorraine Flood
Replied by Lorraine Flood on topic Patrick O'Brien RIP
I'll be heading to the removal this evening also and leaving Swords area around 4pm - if anyone needs a lift, give me a call - 086 3632875.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #12726 by Gavin Dodd
Replied by Gavin Dodd on topic Patrick O'Brien RIP
I will be driving down from Parkwest/Clondalkin area for the removal, leaving at 4.15 or so.

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.
if you would like a lift.

Gavin

More
8 years 11 months ago #12727 by Valdis Andersons
Replied by Valdis Andersons on topic Patrick O'Brien RIP
I'll be driving down this afternoon from the city centre for the removal, leaving 4:10 from the Irish Life/Talbot st. mall. I have space for two more people, I'll be coming back to Dublin this evening.

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

More
8 years 11 months ago #12731 by Dan Coulcher
Replied by Dan Coulcher on topic Patrick O'Brien RIP
I'm driving down to the funeral tomorrow and have space for two/three more.

Leaving Dartry/Rathmines area before 10.

More
8 years 11 months ago #12735 by Eugène SKIL
Replied by Eugène SKIL on topic Patrick O'Brien RIP
It was honour to get to know Pat since joining Orwell and also an honour to be part of the guard of honour. Thank you to all my clubmates for being part of it too and for being supportive.Thank you to our kit rep for having the jerseys ready.
Rest in peace Pat
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian Mc, Daragh Boyd

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #12736 by Brian Mc
Replied by Brian Mc on topic Patrick O'Brien RIP
It's been a tough few days, and we are all still struggling to come to terms with the loss of Pat, but I wanted to pass on thanks to all those who formed the guards of honour at the removal and funeral.

Both Pat's and Eileen's families told us how much it meant to them to see the club members out in force. When they were approaching for the removal, the jerseys were visible from afar as a sign of support. It was a great comfort to them to see how much everyone loved Pat, and that was clear across both days.

In the coming months we'll find a way to commemorate him, and maybe feel up to writing a few words to do his time in the club justice. In the meantime, I'll leave you with Paul Perry's moving tribute.

for Pat, i.m.

I rode all morning
towards the sun
up Cruagh to the Featherbeds
past Kippure, over the Gap
towards Laragh
so little traffic,
the heather turning purple
in the autumn light,
the hill before me
like a rough beast
somewhere in the distance
is Lough Dan
below me Lough Tey,
it’s wild to have the wind
rush through me like this
as if I am a parchment
too full of illegible script
and each pedal stroke
each breath erases
all the garbled speech
and word-horde
from my body
washes it out clean
and clean out
down then fast towards Djouce,
Luggala to the East
a waterfall smoking heavenward
fantastical route, divine transport
this then is where I am
away from the city
weaving my way
through the ancient woods
where the mystic waters flow
keep on the wind cries
go deep the stones call out
even as the light changes
and the sky darkens
even as the clouds converge
and the rain threatens
the soul remains
unrepentant
keep on, it cries
and the blood from my heart
pulses through my body
ever strongly
even as time passes
ever so and when the road dips
and you find yourself on a pathway
leading somewhere
you have never been
do not be afraid
go there friend
for the road will lead you
where you need to go
and your guide will be
all the forgotten words
of childhood
all the poems and promises
of adolescence
all the letters torn together
in parting
watch them scattering in the wind
like confetti
like dust
watch them float away
like the breath which leaves me now
and which carries your name
don’t doubt it
branch and root
down to the last syllable
of your being
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Brian Mc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, Declan Quigley, Eddie Lynch, Denis Gleeson, Paraic Morrissey, BarryR, Gavin Dodd, Neal Hudson, Siobhan O'Connor, Julian Moore, Dan Coulcher, Jonathan O'Reilly, Danny Moriarty, Daragh Boyd, Peter Grealis, Helen Horan, Stephen Downey, Paul Walsh, Kevin Connaire, Stephen Barry, Eugène SKIL, Warren Cray, Darragh Connolly, Richard Cattle

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #12776 by Brian Mc
Slaney CC praised us for our presence:
www.facebook.com/SCC.IRL/posts/1033826266661592

I just wanted to pay tribute to the huge number of Orwell Wheelers who travelled from Dublin to Enniscorthy to stand in a silent guard of honour at Pat O'Brien's removal to St Senans church tonight. It was an amazing and poignant sight to see 50 or 60 Orwell jerseys lining the route. I thought it inappropriate to take a photo but it was very touching to see and showed the high regard Pat was held in and must have been much appreciated by his family.
Well done Orwell.

Well done Orwell Wheelers who travelled in huge numbers to Enniscorthy tonight to stand in a guard of honour for their teammate Pat O'Brien

It was a beautiful tribute from his club mates and friends and will be much appreciated by Pat's family in Enniscorthy.

They also feature in an obituary in the Wexford People: www.wexfordpeople.ie/deaths/shock-at-sud...atrick-31605243.html

Shock at sudden death of talented cyclist Patrick

Enniscorthy is coming to terms with the sudden death of talented cyclist Patrick O'Brien.
Originally from Slaney View Park, Patrick, who was in his early 30s, lived in Dublin for a number of years.
Patrick was well known in cycling circles, having cycled with the Orwell Wheelers in Dublin. He competed in the Rás in 2013, and managed the Orwell Wheelers at the same event this year.
The Dublin club performed a guard of honour at his funeral at St Senan's Church last Thursday.
Patrick supported local Slaney Cycling Club events when he could and the club this week paid tribute to the Enniscorthy man.
'Slaney CC wish to send our sincere sympathy to the family of Pat O'Brien and especially his fiancee Eileen on the terrible news of his sudden and premature death.
'Although riding in the colours of his adopted club Orwell Wheelers Pat was an Enniscorthy man through and through and regularly supported our Eddie Tobin RR and Mount Leinster challenge and was also often on our Saturday spins.
'It was always a pleasure to have Pat ride along side you and his infectious good humour and positivity shone through. A man of the Rás and a man who will missed by all his friends, clubmates, the wider cycling community but most of all by his family. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.'
Patrick is survived by his fiancée Eileen, parents Paddy and Liz, brother Barry and sisters Carol, Lisa and Miriam.
Wexford People

Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Brian Mc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan Coulcher, Ann Horan, Darragh Connolly

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #12778 by Brian Mc
I received a message of thanks from Seamus Doyle, Patrick's brother-in-law, who spoke at the funeral, and who spoke to many of us afterwards.

Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Brian Mc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denis Gleeson, Eileen Byrne, Gavin Dodd, Jamie Busher, Fergal Quinn, Daragh Boyd, Bryan Geary, Kevin Connaire, Eugène SKIL, Darragh Connolly

More
8 years 10 months ago #13037 by Ann Horan
Replied by Ann Horan on topic Patrick O'Brien RIP
Pat's months mind will take place this Saturday 7th November in St Senan's church at 7.30pm. I understand a lot of people will be down in Nenagh but Pat's fiancée Eileen asked me to let people know anyway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denis Gleeson, Brian Mc, Valdis Andersons, Daragh Boyd, Ken O'Neill, Darragh Connolly

More
8 years 10 months ago #13240 by Eugène SKIL
Replied by Eugène SKIL on topic Patrick O'Brien RIP
There's a mass for Pat on Tuesday in UCD at 13:05
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian Mc, Eileen Byrne, Ann Horan

More
8 years 3 months ago #16899 by Ann Horan
Replied by Ann Horan on topic Patrick O'Brien RIP
Here is a message from Pat's mother. She asked me to pass it on.

'It was great to see u all yesterday. Pat would be delighted. Please thank all the club for the tribute and kind words. It is nice to know that he will not be forgotten.'
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denis Gleeson, Dave Murnane, Jonathan O'Reilly, Daragh Boyd, Eugène SKIL, Darragh Connolly

Time to create page: 0.320 seconds