FUNDRAISER KEITH HARTE - SUNDAY SPIN 4 OCTOBER

• Seamus Nolan
8 years 11 months ago #12688 by Seamus Nolan
Replied by Seamus Nolan on topic FUNDRAISER KEITH HARTE - SUNDAY SPIN 4 OCTOBER
Hi Ken
Well done on organising this fundraiser, I tried very hard to make it but could not, Please send my regards to Keith
Seamus

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #12689 by Aideen Keenan
Replied by Aideen Keenan on topic FUNDRAISER KEITH HARTE - SUNDAY SPIN 4 OCTOBER
Great team spirit on show today. For one, the massive turn out. For another, the selfless organisers. And on a personal note, I got not one but countless pushes from Messieurs Sean Murnane and Stephen Barry as I struggled back up over the Sally Gap. That'll learn me for taking a month off the bike. Great day - well done all! And really nice to see Keith and family.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian Mc, Eileen Byrne, Ken O'Neill

More
8 years 11 months ago #12690 by Dan Coulcher
Replied by Dan Coulcher on topic FUNDRAISER KEITH HARTE - SUNDAY SPIN 4 OCTOBER
Photos from the start at Joe Daly's:

flic.kr/s/aHskmFY3rn

Thanks for all the great work - Ken, Eileen, Gar, Dave Mc, Billy, Denis, team leaders etc. Sorry I wasn't able to able to join the ride on an emotional day and an impressive display of club support.

Ken - despite your good looks, seems you were camera shy and I only caught the back of your head (your good side?). Hope others took some of photos of you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denis Gleeson, Brian Mc, Eileen Byrne, Diarmuid Donnelly, Dave Murnane, Ken O'Neill, Warren Cray

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #12691 by BarryR
Fantastic organisation by everyone involved, and fantastic to see so many turn out. Below are a few snaps I took in Laragh.

Spot the lonely Usher member wondering what the hell is going on.

A breakaway group having a more refined coffee stop in the secret café next door.

Not on Whatsapp. Contact me on Signal app instead.
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by BarryR.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian Mc, Dan Coulcher

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #12692 by Brian Mc
Replied by Brian Mc on topic FUNDRAISER KEITH HARTE - SUNDAY SPIN 4 OCTOBER
A message from Glendalough Green (the café in Laragh):

Well done to all you guys! We were blown away by the great support, friendship and solidarity. x Glendalough Green Gals

A big Shout out for the Fantastic 180+ Orwell Wheelers who stopped by for a pit stop at GG on thier Fundraiser Cycle today, great fun and great folks showing huge support, solidarity and friendship. We were humbled and full of admiration for each and all. Thank you Aishling O Connor for sending us this super picture. Have a great week everyone.

Also, brief thread hijack to remind everyone of the AGM tonight! It will be held indoors, so don't worry about the weather. 19.30 in Ballinteer Community School (usually you come in the doors and go down the corridor to the left), all details in this thread: www.orwellwheelers.org/forum/8-miscellan...hatter/5133-2015-agm
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Brian Mc.

More
8 years 11 months ago #12693 by Brian Mc

Photos from the start at Joe Daly's:

flic.kr/s/aHskmFY3rn

Some more photos thanks to...

Diarmuid Donnelly: corcaigh.smugmug.com/Leisure/Keith-harte-fundraiser/

Aishling O'Connor: www.facebook.com/aishling.connor.1/media...1073741851.844410540
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan Coulcher, Dave Murnane, Daragh Boyd

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #12780 by Brian Mc
Another lovely note landed in my inbox... this time from Paul Connaughton. He and a few others of Keith's family and friends came from Galway to take part in the fundraiser. Paul had to get off to walk on a couple of occasions, but he conquered Calary Hill before he had to throw in the towel.

Could I take this opportunity to pass on my thanks to your club for allowing a few novices from Galway take part in the spin for Keith Harte. It was great to be able to show our solidarity with Keith and also lovely to see such unreserved goodwill on the day not to mention impeccable organisation (with a big emphasis on safety).

I'd like to single out one person from day if could & based on basic google search I think her name might be Bernie Tansey-Daly? I was the person that really struggled on the Wicklow Hills but Bernie came to rescue by sweeping up. I have have two important excuses for my struggle, the first is that my own spins have been limited to leisurely runs at sea level in Oranmore and not used to (what felt like) Alpe d'Huez type peaks! and the 2nd excuse was that I came down with nasty viral infection and Sunday was the first day but it got worse from that point. The other people in the group also deserve great credit for their patience and for the supply of much needed jelly babies. No thanks go to brothers Aidan & Kevin and bro-in-law Adrian who gave me a right ribbing and were ones heard to say "you're not wussing out are you".

One of the pictures shows Adrian having loaded up our four bikes and ready to set off at 6.30am. The 2nd picture shows brother Aidan Kevin & Paul Connaughton (me) (note no cleats even!) & bro-in-law Adrian Glynn aka Davy Arthur!

Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Brian Mc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eileen Byrne, Ken O'Neill, Darragh Connolly

More
8 years 10 months ago #13033 by Garret Connolly
Replied by Garret Connolly on topic FUNDRAISER KEITH HARTE - SUNDAY SPIN 4 OCTOBER
Hi all

Now that the weeks have passed I felt it was right just to list a few people to thank for everything that made the Keith Harte Fundraiser a huge success. On Sunday October 4th over 230 Orwell cyclists and some guests left Joe Dalys and headed out to Laragh for the Keith Harte Fundraiser. It was an extremely proud and emotional day to be part of Orwell and spend on the road with fellow club members.

When myself and Ken O'Neill first started discussing what could we do to help our good friend Keith Harte out while he was battling through various cancer treatments and being wheelchair bound we felt the club should do something as a show of support. Both myself and Keith are believers that we shouldn't just sit back and say Orwell should do this, Orwell should do that etc. This is everyone's club and we are Orwell and if you want to do something just do it. We came up with the idea of doing an Orwell spin one Sunday with a voluntary suggested donation of €20 tor raise a 'few quid' to help Keith. What happened next would blow our mind.....

Myself and Ken approached several Committee members to see if it was feasible. We approached Denis Gleeson, Brian Mc and Mark Mulcahy from the Committee and Orwell stalwarts and organising legends Billy Parker and Eileen Byrne to help out. Without even a second thought they all agreed we had ourselves an organising committee. Without these amazing people we wouldn't have been able to put the spin on. Thanks to every one of the organisers for their time, enthusiasm and commitment. You're all legends.

Thanks to the huge numbers of leaders and volunteers on the day. There is no possible way I could list everyone of you but you all know who you are and you helped make this day a success. I tip my hat to you all....Chapeau.

Thanks to the photographers on the day, Dan Coulcher, Diarmuid Donnelly and Ashling O'Connor. They helped document a huge day in Orwell history and we hope to create a valuable photo book for the club and Keith and family.

Thanks to Dave Mc and Joe Dalys for opening up early and allowing us to invade your carpark, shop and toilet on the Sunday morning. Dave Mc acted as unofficial Orwell sweeper upper after us too cleaning up the numerous coffee cups left on the wall after we embarked. Thanks Dave.

Thanks to Keith's family and friends who came along from as far as Galway and the UK to take part. It was fantastic to see you on the day.

Thanks to the group of friends who drink in the bar in Chesire where Keith's sister in law works who decided to do a UK version of the fundraiser and raised over £2500 sterling.

Thanks to everyone who donated prizes to the raffle draw that took place:
-Our excellent club kit providers Spin 11 who donated 2 framed national team jerseys signed by Nicolas Roche. They got delayed in the post but are in Joe Dalys now for the winners. spin11.com/
-Stephen O'Shea who donated a voucher for 2 for a dinner in the Cavern on Baggot Street winebar.
cavernbaggotst.com/
-Donal O'Connor who donated a Sean Kelly signed jersey.
-Aidan Hammond of www.bikefittingireland.com/page_6.html who donated a voucher for a bikefit to the value of €120.
-Velo Revolution for donated a voucher of €250 velorevolution.eu/

Thanks to Clodagh and all the Glendalough Green Cafe glendaloughgreen.com/ for putting on extra staff and managing the full load of 200+cyclists with speed and efficiency.

One person in particular needs to be thanked more than anyone for the day itself and that is Ken O'Neill. A lot of the racers and sportif riders alike jokingly call him 'the Kenibal' because he can chew up the fellow cyclists and spit them back out again on numerous occasions through winter and racing. What many don't know is that he has a true heart of gold and ever since Keith got sick Ken has been there any time Keith needs help in and out and in again to hospital and on various other times. Keith said to Eileen that Ken has been his guardian angel over the last year and his willing to help Keith out through goodwill and friendship should be recognised, applaued and admired. Chapeau Ken.

Thanks to Keith. I was fortunate enough to join Orwell at pretty much the same time as Keith in 2011. In the early days myself and himself struggled along getting dropped in the then white groups led by Denis. I can remember one day in particular getting shelled out the back close to Lacken and thinking that's it I've had enough, cycling isn't for me. Keith kept me going that day with words of encouragement and the odd 'cop on will ya and keep going'.
I very nearly quit cycling that day and it was because of Keith I didn't. From that point we both progressed to various sportifs, across Ireland and abroad and onto racing where Keith excelled in club league and A4 and then A3 and I 'raced' too.
Joining and staying in Orwell has been one of the great things in my life and I hold Keith responsible for keeping from quitting that day. Simply put I'm still cycling because of Keith and I owe him a huge level of gratitude for that. He has and always will be a great friend and club colleague and on behalf of everyone in the club wish him well in this battle.
Keith is one hell of fighter, both on the bike and off it, and we wish him good look and strength in these challenging times in his life. Keep up the good fight Keith Go raibh biseach ort gan mhoill.

We all have targets in mind for our cycling career for 2016, We've all had great days on the bike when our legs seem to burst with never ending energy. We've all had terrible days where bonking and glycogen levels become the primary concern of our daily lives.

However every one of these pales in comparison to what Keith is going through right now and has ahead of him as he enters this extremely challenging time in his life.

We hope that the money raised and morale boost received from the Orwell support helped in even the smallest amount.

Dave Mc rightly said he felt it was the biggest get together of Orwell in the Club's proud history. I felt it was the biggest, best and most proud day of my cycling life seeing so many selfless souls turn up and support such a worthy cause. I'm extremely proud of every one of the people who cycled, volunteered, took photos and helped out in every way....

Everyone remotely connected to the Keith Harte Fundraiser should stand up and take a bow....Chapeau Orwell...you did yourselves proud.

Get well soon Keith.

Garret
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denis Gleeson, Colm Egan, Derek Handley, Daragh Boyd, Robert Tully, Aideen Keenan, Helen Horan, Stephen O'Shea, Graham Scanlon, Donal O'Connor, Tommy Smith, Darragh Connolly, Leonard Kaye, Stephen Kerr

More
8 years 10 months ago #13040 by Donal O'Connor
Replied by Donal O'Connor on topic FUNDRAISER KEITH HARTE - SUNDAY SPIN 4 OCTOBER
Well done to all the organisers and best wishes to Keith. It was a great day and Garret, in the words of the great soccer pundit Andy Grey, 'Take a bow son'
The following user(s) said Thank You: Darragh Connolly

Time to create page: 0.245 seconds