Orwell Kit Style!

More
9 years 3 months ago #10508 by Eugène SKIL
Orwell Kit Style! was created by Eugène SKIL
how are ya lads, over the weekend there thanks to Peters family, I was able to wash my Orwell kit and wear it two days in a row. was a buzz and a half as then ppl know what club youre from and we did our work in the groups to represent! the thing is Ive so much SKIL kit Ill be wearing that for the next few events. I was wondering about whats the feedback on the style of the new shorts? I know Stephen did a good job experimenting with a different supplier due to feedback he must have received on the spin 11 shorts and I like the big VERGE branding on the new ones, but otherwise how are people finding them as a fit and style? Im happy enough with the old SPIN11 ones whenever I wear them. They were grand for the 350km cycling we did over the weekend (thanks Peter for convincing me to do both those events)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #10520 by Valdis Andersons
Replied by Valdis Andersons on topic Orwell Kit Style!
I have both versions of the shorts, the Spin11 and the Verge from this year (both size M). The Spin11 ones have a thinner pad than the Verge. While racing I prefer the Spin11 because they don't chafe when I'm all hunched down hanging on to people's wheels. I've tried the Verge's in two races so far and got unpleasant saddle sores from chafing (oddly it's just one spot that seems to be the issue). During easier training rides the Verge's appear to be fine, bear in mind that I haven't got them out for more than 2 hours ever.

Regarding the fit. Both are a bit tight on the quads, takes a bit of faffing about to get the grippers any distance above the knees. The fit around the waist and hips is better on the Spin11 version, for some reason the Verge's are a wee bit loose there. Similar situation with the shoulder straps, the Spin11's are nice and tight without being uncomfortable but the Verge's are again a wee bit too loose and tend to slide off after a while. Maybe I should've got the Verge's in size S but then it would be even more difficult getting them over the knees.

In general it feels like the Verge's are sized a little bit bigger than the Spin11's except for the thighs area.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eugène SKIL

More
9 years 3 months ago #10533 by Ken O'Neill
Replied by Ken O'Neill on topic Orwell Kit Style!
The fit on the Verge shorts in general is ok. I have had no issues with the pad although it is a lot thicker than the Spin 11 and takes a bit of getting used to. Where I have a problem is the shoulder straps on the Verge tend to slide off my shoulders and down my arms, but they appear to be the correct length for my size? The front of the Verge shorts are also cut very low, even lower than the Spin 11 where most other shorts in my experience are cut higher at the front. Also the material on the front of the Verge shorts is starting to fray in a few different spots, this was evident from the first time I wore them which I believe to be a flaw in the material on this particular pair of shorts.

In saying all of that Stephen as usual has done an excellent job in organising the club kit. Thanks again Stephen.

More
9 years 3 months ago #10536 by Mark Holland
Replied by Mark Holland on topic Orwell Kit Style!
Many thanks to Stephen for organising the Orwell Kit, it is much appreciated.
I would like to echo what Valdis & Ken have said and say that I find the pad is big and uncomfortable. It starts to be uncomfortable within in the first hour of use and longer the ride the more uncomfortable it gets. I have not owned the Spin 11 version and only have Castelli shorts to compare against where I don’t experience any discomfort.

More
9 years 3 months ago #10541 by Jules Cantwell
Replied by Jules Cantwell on topic Orwell Kit Style!
I find the Verge shorts to be reasonably comfortable but have the same problem as Ken with the straps sliding down my shoulders the whole time.

More
9 years 3 months ago #10550 by Eugène SKIL
Replied by Eugène SKIL on topic Orwell Kit Style!
Thanks lads, that is very interesting that there is a variety of experiences with the shorts. We really need ones that do the job for everyone. It's going to be a challenge to get some samples from a manufacturer that ticks everyones boxes but it would be great to get as many different perspectives/issues on the current ones and recommendations for other suppliers if any of you would have experience of them.

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Ya Stephen is doing a great job with the kit. Actually meant to add I really like the design of the kit and the way the ORWELL writing is big. Great job from Charlotte! Its an original design and it's bright too which is great when on the road. My problem, as mentioned above, is I already have too much kit! I might try to organise some cool Orwell stickers on the bike when Im not wearing the kit so that the name is out there :)

More
9 years 3 months ago #10560 by Alan Casey
Replied by Alan Casey on topic Orwell Kit Style!
Hi Eugene,

Any chance you have some old Orwell kit you could offload? Specifically a SS jersey. I tried on the one remaining medium size jersey a few weeks ago (thanks to Stephen) and it's a tad too small for me.

More
9 years 3 months ago #10564 by Eugène SKIL
Replied by Eugène SKIL on topic Orwell Kit Style!
I don't Alan. I think the next order will be placed in mid June.

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds