Lab testing

More
9 years 5 months ago #9472 by Brian Mc
Lab testing was created by Brian Mc
Message into the club inbox about some lab testing - drop me a line here if you're interested and suitable for Karl's studies, and I'll pass on your details.

Hi guys,

My name is Karl Cogan and I am a PhD student majoring in exercise physiology and sports nutrition in UCD. We are going to be running a research study soon investigating the effects of different combinations of carbohydrate and protein on recovery of muscle from exercise. We are currently looking for trained male cyclists to participate between the ages of 18-35yrs. Participants would be required to visit the exercise physiology lab in UCD on four separate occasions.

During visit 1, participants will have their stature and body composition (%fat and muscle) assessed using a whole-body scan known as a DEXA scan. Then, on a stationary bike, we will perform a VO2max exercise test (8 to 15 min) to determine levels of aerobic fitness. These two tests are the gold standard in assessing body composition and aerobic fitness levels. The total duration of visit 1 will be approximately 1 hour.

Visits 2, 3, and 4, participants will be required to perform 2 hours of cycling at a specific percentage (~70%) of their aerobic fitness, which was determined previously during visit 1. There will then be a 4 hour recovery period in which you will drink one of three test drinks, followed by a second exercise session during which participants will cycle to exhaustion (lasting anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes). During the recovery period of each visit, participants will consume a drink of about a pint (500 mL) consisting of carbohydrate only (CHO), carbohydrate and casein protein (CHO-C) or carbohydrate and a protein blend. A small muscle biopsy known as the microneedle method will be taken from your mid-thigh immediately before and after each exercise session and after 4 hours of recovery, and therefore totalling 3 per visit. Each biopsy itself takes approximately 30 seconds.

As each testing day is similar to an intense training session, these sessions will contribute to weekly training loads. The assessment of body composition by DEXA, and the assessment of aerobic fitness are common measures of body composition and physical fitness, so we will be able to assess your fitness relative to your peers and international norms. These results can be used to plan your next phase of training relative to accurate fitness values. Additionally, based on your food diary, we will provide feedback on your dietary habits relative to your sports and fitness goals.

If you think this is something that may interest you guys, I’d be glad to send on further information or have a chat. Many thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope to hear from you soon.

All the best,

Karl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #9477 by Freddie Stevens
Replied by Freddie Stevens on topic Lab testing
I would be interested in this if I qualify!

Freddiestevens (at) hotmail (dot) com
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Freddie Stevens.

More
9 years 5 months ago #9478 by Michael Hanley
Replied by Michael Hanley on topic Lab testing
Also interested. You have my details.

• Stephen Rowan
9 years 5 months ago #9479 by Stephen Rowan
Replied by Stephen Rowan on topic Lab testing
I would be interested.
Feel free to pass on my details

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Cheers

• Sean Higgins
9 years 5 months ago #9481 by Sean Higgins
Replied by Sean Higgins on topic Lab testing
Hi

I would also be interested.

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #9486 by Niall Kieran
Replied by Niall Kieran on topic Lab testing
I would be interested in this, feel free to pass on details
niallgerardkieran@gmail,com
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Niall Kieran.

More
9 years 5 months ago #9651 by Brian Mc
Replied by Brian Mc on topic Lab testing
Thanks for responses. Karl has been in touch to say he'll send on further details when the start date of the research has been confirmed.

More
9 years 5 months ago #9652 by Daniel McElroy
Replied by Daniel McElroy on topic Lab testing
Didn't see this first time round. I'd be interested in doing this too. Thanks.

More
9 years 5 months ago #9658 by David Cahill
Replied by David Cahill on topic Lab testing
Hi - I'd also be interested if there are any spots remaining.

Thanks

More
9 years 5 months ago #9659 by Eugène SKIL
Replied by Eugène SKIL on topic Lab testing
ya there's still places as theyre still finalizing some details of the study. Karl will be in touch soon enough with an official poster that Brian or myself can post up here
When I was doing my PhD we also had an exercise component in a study, but this one is more comprehensive.

More
9 years 4 months ago #9754 by Brian Mc
You should all now have an email from myself with Karl's contact details, and a poster about the project. If you didn't get it, let me know!

More
9 years 3 months ago #10726 by Brian Mc
A bump on this, another message from Karl

We got some really positive feedback and interest from some of the Orwell Wheelers. As a result, I was wondering if it would be possible to repost our flyer on the Orwell forum? We are almost there in terms of our recruitment and I think one big final push will get us across the line.

If you're interested, let me know below.

More
9 years 3 months ago #10727 by Thomas Scanlan
Replied by Thomas Scanlan on topic Lab testing
Hi, I would be interested in this, can you pass my contact details along. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
9 years 3 months ago #10737 by Eugène SKIL
Replied by Eugène SKIL on topic Lab testing
Hi Thomas,
I'll pass your email on to Karl as I work with him.
Eugene

More
9 years 3 months ago #10741 by Peadar Corbally
Replied by Peadar Corbally on topic Lab testing
I'd be interested if people are still needed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eugène SKIL

Time to create page: 0.270 seconds