Winter Spins Red Group

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #12991 by Ken O'Neill
Replied by Ken O'Neill on topic Winter Spins Red Group
19 rolled out from the Popes X yesterday morning. We had a few new faces which was great to see and the group consisted of Leisure riders, riders planning on racing Club League and or Open for the first time in 2016, A4, A3 & A2 riders. It was a sunny warm start to the morning until we hit Co. Meath where fog and visibility was pretty poor. The fog lasted all the way around until we hit Clonee on the way back. We had a bit of a detour at Rathoath, you can't trust those Garmins for directions, which added approximately 10K onto our route. Pace was fairly steady on the way out and sometimes a little slower than usual, most likely due to the fog and the large group. The pace picked up ever so slightly on our way back giving an overall average of 30kph.
I'm not away on the Club Weekend to Nenagh so if anyone is interested in heading out this Sunday at the usual time sure let me know and I will sort out a route.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Ken O'Neill.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stephen Ryan, Daragh Boyd, Stephen Barry, Darragh Connolly, Richard Cattle

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #13022 by Ken O'Neill
For anyone that's not heading to Nenagh for the weekend I'm planning a Red Spin from the Pope's Cross on Sunday leaving at 09:00. Route is Park,- Clonee - Trim - Summerhill - Kilcock - Lucan - Park 100km.

www.strava.com/routes/3608878

More
8 years 10 months ago #13041 by Kilian Doyle
Replied by Kilian Doyle on topic Winter Spins Red Group
See you there
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ken O'Neill

More
8 years 10 months ago #13045 by Daragh Boyd
Replied by Daragh Boyd on topic Winter Spins Red Group
Hey Ken,

I should be able to make that see you there.

Regards,
Daragh

More
8 years 10 months ago #13067 by John Kehoe
Replied by John Kehoe on topic Winter Spins Red Group
Hi Ken, thanks for posting, and only catching up now. I'll almost certainly be there (if I'm late, don't wait). See you then, John

More
8 years 10 months ago #13069 by Brendan Kenny
Replied by Brendan Kenny on topic Winter Spins Red Group
I'll be there

More
8 years 10 months ago #13074 by Garry Blair
Replied by Garry Blair on topic Winter Spins Red Group
Me too

More
8 years 10 months ago #13076 by Brendan Kenny
Replied by Brendan Kenny on topic Winter Spins Red Group
Looking out at the weather while eating my porridge, not sure if I'm going to risk that storm today

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #13085 by Ken O'Neill
10 hardy souls turned up at the Popes X yesterday morning and braved the inclement weather. On departing from the Park it was quit windy and a bit wet but reasonably pleasant. As we ventured further into Meath we encountered torrential rain with extremely strong gales while achieving an average speed of 31kph for the first half of the spin. By the time we got to Trim we were soaked to the skin but spirits were high and everyone appeared to be enjoying themselves. We experienced a sharp drop in our average speed after turning out of Trim heading for Summerhill/Kilcock facing into an extremely strong cross/head wind with some torrential downpours thrown in for good measure where Rule #5 was well and truly applied. After a quick pit stop due to a puncture we headed into Kilcock and took full advantage of the cross/tail wind for most of the way back. Just past Lucan as we turned onto the Strawberry Beds we encountered a couple of floods which were ankle deep on the bikes but fortunately we all managed to get through them safely. We had one last stop in Chapelizod due to another puncture where it took no more than 3 strong lads to get the tyre back on the wheel. Puncture sorted we sprinted as far as Islandbridge where we all went our separate ways. It was a tough spin but most enjoyable all the same, some reckoned it looked worse than it actually was Rule #9. Overall distance Park to Park was 95km averaging 29kph. A special mention to Sean Higgins for completing what I believe was his first Orwell Red Spin.

www.strava.com/activities/428799744
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, Daragh Boyd, Stephen Barry

More
8 years 10 months ago #13086 by Dave Mc
Replied by Dave Mc on topic Winter Spins Red Group
Fair play all, that's a proper Winter training day.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #13089 by Kilian Doyle
I got a puncture on the hill at the end of the Strawberry beds. Stopped to fix it and realised as I watched the group disappear that my saddlebag with my tyre levers, spare tube and multitool in it had dislodged itself somewhere along the route. Got the tyre off with my hands, tied a knot in the tube, got the tyre back on using a stick and a car key and then pumped it up, only to hear the tube deflate again, hissing mockingly at me as it did. Walked/pushed the bike 3km back to my car. In the pissing rain. Not fun. Not fun at all.

Still, great spin all the same. Rules #5 and #9 in full effect.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Kilian Doyle.

More
8 years 10 months ago #13091 by Ken O'Neill
Ah no Kilian we all thought you had turned into the park at the top of the hill. As the rest of us were cycling home we all headed straight down Knockmaroon Hill and bypassed the park.

More
8 years 10 months ago #13100 by Kilian Doyle
It's my own fault, Peadar looked back and I waved him off, it'll teach me to make sure the feckin' thing is attached properly in future...

Time to create page: 0.249 seconds