Club Weekend Away - Thanks Anne!

• Anne Dalton
  • Topic Author
12 years 3 weeks ago - 11 years 10 months ago #3964 by Anne Dalton
Club Weekend Away - Thanks Anne! was created by Anne Dalton
People,

As the sportive and racing calendar draws to a close, its now time to think about getting your winter training bike out in anticipation of the annual Club Weekend Away. The date is Saturday October 20th, the destination is Gorey, Co. Wexford and your going to cycle there and back – it will be tremendous fun! There is a 130km route (via N81/Tullow) and an 85/90km more direct route. Accommodation is in the 4* Ashdown Park Hotel.

Last winter the Orwell ‘Sunday Spins’ were run according to a system where cyclists were split into 4 groups, each which had a predetermined distance and average speed, its going to be the same for the weekend away spin.
3 to 4 groups will set off from outside Joe Dalys shop on the morning of Sat Oct 20th, with average speed and distance options to suit all those from beginners to speedy pants ‘Men of the Ras’ types.
Your luggage will be transported directly to the hotel, I just haven’t quite figured out how yet.

To book your spot please ring the hotel directly on (053) 9480500, quoting the reference below, before 03/10/2012. The package is on a dinner, bed & breakfast basis:
Group Reference: 007874
Rate: €89.00pps
Basis: Dinner (3 course + tea/coffee @ 7:30pm), Bed & Breakfast
Billing: Credit Card Pre-Authorization or Cash on arrival
Deadline: 03/10/2012
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by Dave Mc.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Anne Dalton
  • Topic Author
12 years 3 weeks ago #3969 by Anne Dalton
Replied by Anne Dalton on topic Club Weekend Away - Oct 20th/21st
I am very pleased to announce, that having spent 5 minutes screaming abuse down the phone at the Reservations Manager in the Ashdown Park Hotel, the cost of the Dinner B&B package has now been reduced to €79pps. Go me!

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #3970 by Aidan Collins
Replied by Aidan Collins on topic Club Weekend Away - Oct 20th/21st
Anne, you are just amazing.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #3972 by John Lanigan
Replied by John Lanigan on topic Club Weekend Away - Oct 20th/21st
Well theres the first €10 into the kitty for drinks from everyone to get things started.

Well done Anne.

• Anne Dalton
  • Topic Author
11 years 11 months ago #4047 by Anne Dalton
Hi All,

Just to let you know that the Ashdown Park Hotel have been in contact to advise that anyone wishing to book a room for the weekend away should do so before Sunday Oct 7th. After this date, the hotel cannot ensure availability under the package detailed above and will have no option other than to allocate room share based on a 'keys/bike pump in bowl' basis*

*This may be a lie.

More
11 years 11 months ago #4053 by Dave Mc
Replied by Dave Mc on topic Club Weekend Away - Oct 20th/21st
There's already a top quality crowd signed up for this, and I think it's safe to say without any fear of contradiction that it'll be the best Winter weekend away ever, and the unlucky few who miss out are going to have to endure an entire Winter of hearing about it.

By the by, we traditionally select a number of the club's annual awards on the weekend away, most particularly the highly prestigious "Cowboygirl of the year" award. While being there could potentially make you a candidate, not being there leaves you with no with opportunity to defend yourself...

More
11 years 11 months ago #4054 by Brian Mc
Replied by Brian Mc on topic Club Weekend Away - Oct 20th/21st

After this date, the hotel cannot ensure availability under the package detailed above and will have no option other than to allocate room share based on a 'keys/bike pump in bowl' basis

I tried to get this option, but the hotel said I had to room with a pre-approved partner. :(

• Anne Dalton
  • Topic Author
11 years 11 months ago #4093 by Anne Dalton
Hi All,

Some further details for the upcoming weekend away.

There will be two routes to choose from on the day:

The longer, tougher, faster one: ridewithgps.com/routes/1774821
The lunch stop for this route will be in Hacketstown at 77k in, or with 40k remaining.

The slightly shorter, less hilly & more scenic option: ridewithgps.com/routes/1774778
The lunch stop for this route will be in Wicklow town.

Both groups will be leaving from outside Joe Dalys shop at 10am SHARP on Saturday morning.
Please have a look at the above links in advance of Sat morning to ensure that you are familiar with the route and that you know which group you intend to go with before you arrive on Sat morning. There will not be a support car so I suggest that you arrive at the shop early on Saturday and make a point of being very nice to everyone.
Luggage: I will be operating a strict ‘Ryan Air’ type policy as regards the luggage. 2 vehicles have been very kindly made available to us for transporting the luggage to Gorey, however with big numbers booked in please be considerate and pack lightly. I reserve the right to just empty out some of your things/charge you per KG if I feel your taking the proverbial!
Anyone who wants a SMALL bag transported to Gorey must have it at the shop before 9.30am on Sat morning.
Alternatively, if you intend to cycle to Joe Dalys on Saturday morning you can leave your SMALL bag into Joe Dalys shop on Friday evening - before 6pm. Any bags left in Joe Dalys shop should be clearly labelled and are left there at your own risk, (usual disclaimers apply i.e. I can’t guarantee that the guys in the shop won’t try on your clothes after you’ve left etc.)

Dinner is booked for 7.30pm in the Ashdown Park Hotel on Saturday evening. If you are not cycling down and/or staying over in the hotel but plan to attend the dinner then please ensure that you have advised the hotel.

It is up to everyone to ensure that they are self sufficient on the day as regards spare tubes, pumps, route maps etc. This is a Leisure cycle – NOT A RACE TO GOREY - complimentary drinks may be made available to anyone who demonstrates extraordinary ‘kindness/compassion/patience towards fellow cyclists’ on the route down.
Although if anyone is interested in doing ‘support’ car for either group then please let me know and the complimentary drinks will be directed your way instead.

If anyone has any questions please just ask (now as opposed to Sat morning!)

More
11 years 11 months ago #4096 by Declan Quigley
Replied by Declan Quigley on topic Club Weekend Away - Oct 20th/21st
Cheers Anne,
Great work. Can't wait. Jeez, that long spin is a bit of a leg breaker! Could we not just do the Gorey Stage One route? That way if anyone's suffering they can just collect tickets at the back.
Just a thought.

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #4101 by Dave Mc
Replied by Dave Mc on topic Club Weekend Away - Oct 20th/21st

Could we not just do the Gorey Stage One route?

No.

The weather's looking super for this weekend, should be an absolutely smashing spin down...
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by Dave Mc.

More
11 years 11 months ago #4102 by John Lanigan
Replied by John Lanigan on topic Club Weekend Away - Oct 20th/21st
Folks

I won't be able to leave Dublin to cycle down till about 1 on Sat. If anyone else is looking to head off a bit later than the main 10am departure let me know and if it suits we can meet up.

More
11 years 11 months ago #4103 by Dick O'Brien
Replied by Dick O'Brien on topic Club Weekend Away - Oct 20th/21st

Folks

I won't be able to leave Dublin to cycle down till about 1 on Sat. If anyone else is looking to head off a bit later than the main 10am departure let me know and if it suits we can meet up.

You'll probably catch up with me somewhere around Laragh

No forum login? Mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Don't want to miss any forum posts? How to set up email notifications
Subscribe to the calendar: Hit "+" button at bottom of widget

• Edward O Mahoney
11 years 11 months ago #4104 by Edward O Mahoney
Replied by Edward O Mahoney on topic Club Weekend Away - Oct 20th/21st
Heading to Gorey on the club weekend away, just wondering if anyone is looking to share a room?

• Anne Dalton
  • Topic Author
11 years 11 months ago #4105 by Anne Dalton
'The Coffee Shop' in Wicklow town have agreed to a discount of 20% across the board on any of their menu options, for all Gorey bound Orwell members tomorrow. Go Me - again!

• Anne Dalton
  • Topic Author
11 years 11 months ago #4106 by Anne Dalton
For those attempting the longer route tomorrow, might I suggest that you dig deep for an extra 5km and stop for lunch in Tinahealy (82km) rather than Hacketstown (77km).
No offence to anyone from Hacketstown, but there is nothing there. Where as in Tinahealy you can choose from The D'Lish Coffee Shop at the Riverside Business Centre or Madelines Country Kitchen in Dwyer Square.

More
11 years 11 months ago #4107 by Brian Mc
Replied by Brian Mc on topic Club Weekend Away - Oct 20th/21st
Any discounts there Anne? ;) I vote anyone already doing that route should just make the 40km extra trip to Wicklow town for lunch.

• Anne Dalton
  • Topic Author
11 years 11 months ago #4108 by Anne Dalton
I actually did ask them for a discount but they told me where to go said No.
So can I suggest that everyone pays in coppers/punts/barter system....

More
11 years 11 months ago #4109 by Dick O'Brien
Replied by Dick O'Brien on topic Club Weekend Away - Oct 20th/21st
You seem to drive a hard bargain Dalton. I'm imagining a string of terrorised hoteliers and restaurateurs between here and Wexford.

No forum login? Mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Don't want to miss any forum posts? How to set up email notifications
Subscribe to the calendar: Hit "+" button at bottom of widget
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anne Dalton

More
11 years 11 months ago #4110 by John Latham
Replied by John Latham on topic Club Weekend Away - Oct 20th/21st
Did someone say Coppers?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian Mc, Anne Dalton

• Anne Dalton
  • Topic Author