St. Patrick's day parade

More
14 years 6 months ago #304 by Dave Mc
St. Patrick's day parade was created by Dave Mc
We have been invited to take part in this years Saint Patrick's day parade in Dublin. I think this could be a great event to take part in, with an estimated audience of 600,000 watching either in person or on television.

Obviously though, if we take part we would want to have a decent turn out- if there were half a dozen of us hanging around down the back of the parade looking like we'd jumped the barriers it would be mildly embarrassing.

Taking into account that it would clash with the race in Batterstown, and that I'm sure some people will want to get out for a long spin, how much interest would there be in taking part?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #305 by Dave Mc
Replied by Dave Mc on topic Re:St. Patrick's day parade
A few more details;

This would be ideal to bring kids along to, as the speed will be walking pace. I think we would be placed towards the tail end of the parade. In recent years there has been a line-up of vintage cars following along at the back, and the idea is to have cyclists either instead of or supplemental to the cars as a statement on progress and sustainable transport in the city.

We would need to be at the start for 11am, and it would take about 3 hours altogether to the finish. Then, if people wanted, there would still be time to do an afternoon spin. Or we could just go on the rip either.

If anyone has any questions let me know, I'll answer them as best as I can.

More
14 years 6 months ago #308 by Declan Quigley
Replied by Declan Quigley on topic Re:St. Patrick's day parade
This is excellent news Dave. It's a real honour for the club to be asked to represent Dublin cycling in such an important public event. We'll get more viewers and spectators from this than a decade of Rasanna!

More
14 years 6 months ago #347 by Dave Mc
Replied by Dave Mc on topic Re:St. Patrick's day parade
This is still open to anyone who wants to take part in the parade-

Please come and join us to celebrate St Patrick’s Day!

The first 100 or so cycling respondents are invited (yes, kids too!) to take part in the famous Dublin St Patrick’s Parade on the 17th of March starting around 11:30 am and the party will last for about two and a half hour. Meeting point is Upper Dorset Street and Dominick Street (map will be sent to you on Friday).
So come along on your bike, dressed up with the brightest and most colourful clothing you own. Paint your shoes, paint your head and decorate your bike! Attach as many bicycle bells as you can find to your machine plus bicycle fog horns, rattlers and portable musical instruments because WE ARE GONNA ROCK THE PARADE ON BIKES!
The organisers will be providing bright colour tee-shirts, and some bicycle bells will be there as well in case you can’t get your hand on your old and rusty bicycle bell!

For logistics matters, please let us know how many of you will be joining the Parade by emailing: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Dublin Cycling Campaign dublincycling.ie for safer, quieter, greener, more sociable streets

The meeting point is the Black church on Western way from 11:00.

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds