Good luck this weekend!

More
10 years 5 months ago #6289 by Brian Mc
Good luck this weekend! was created by Brian Mc
Easter's a busy time for Irish racing, and we've got two teams headed to Kerry for the 4 day Rás Mumhan which starts today, a large selection riding out from Blessington tomorrow for the Gorey 3 Day, and then the next round of the women's Joe Daly Cycles' National League in Laois on Sunday. Darragh Long is in Belgium with the NRPT team too.

Best of luck to everyone - keep us posted if you can!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #6309 by Philippe Bourdarias
Replied by Philippe Bourdarias on topic Good luck this weekend!
Here in Gorey lovely day with an unfortunate tragic end of stage 1 as the race had to be stopped 3km before the end as there was a very serious car crash on the road. Was in a break with 10 other guys going well so a bit a frustration on the moment that disappeared quickly when they told us about the seriousness of the crash with at least 1 fatality...really sad. The crash is not related to the race.

The race so far was typical gorey...fast sometimes...frustrating sometimes....hectic most of the time with everybody wanting to be at the front. A bit of negative racing also and the successful break got away only 20km from the end. I think that Ciaran Kelly must hate stickybottle now as he was marked by...the whole bunch and he spent the race swearing...
We should get our 56s lead on gc which means that the tt will be key tomorrow. That's fine...i plan to vomit at the line...
Enjoy the rest of the week end

Philippe
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, Brian Mc, Valdis Andersons

More
10 years 5 months ago #6310 by Dick O'Brien
Replied by Dick O'Brien on topic Good luck this weekend!
Tough day at the office. As Philippe said, a typical Gorey 3 Day stage, fast and furious for much of the time. Was feeling very comfortable throughout until 100km in I broke a spoke and had to get a wheel change. What followed was 30 minutes of pure misery while trying to get back on. Having the race stopped and hearing about the crash puts your own dramas into perspective though.

All the lads did really well and stayed with the main bunch throughout. We're well supported here with Declan Quigley driving the car as manager, ably assisted by Emma Convey and Sandra Telford. It makes a massive difference having some help from your clubmates on a weekend like this.

No forum login? Mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Don't want to miss any forum posts? How to set up email notifications
Subscribe to the calendar: Hit "+" button at bottom of widget
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, Brian Mc, Diarmuid Collins, Valdis Andersons

More
10 years 5 months ago #6312 by Diarmuid Collins
Replied by Diarmuid Collins on topic Good luck this weekend!
Kerry is fast, tough, fast and sunny. Big bunch going 90 down rough dead roads. After two stages my legs are beginning to complain. Getting to sleep won't be a problem this weekend.

The team car looks great and has been of great use so far.

Thanks again to Joe Daly's for the supply of powerbars and gels. The gels have been my lunch for the past few days and probably for the next few!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, Brian Mc, Dick O'Brien, Valdis Andersons

• Patrick O'Brien
10 years 4 months ago #6317 by Patrick O'Brien
Replied by Patrick O'Brien on topic Good luck this weekend!
Fantastic weather in Kerry for Ras Mumhan. I arrived at the start feeling strong and had big plans for the weekend but they all ended after 15km when Tom and I came down in a 60km/h crash. I struggled on to the finish of stage 1 and was delighted to have Orwells Lucy Soden and Fiona Cooke there to fix me, I can't thank them enough.

Two sleepless nights mean this race has become e'tape Ras Mumhan for me, but I'm thrilled to see Aidan Collins, Eric Downey and Diarmuid Collins competing at the front of the race.

Best of luck to everyone competing in the other stage races around the country, I sense its going to be successful weekend for Orwell.

More
10 years 4 months ago #6318 by Jamie Busher
Replied by Jamie Busher on topic Good luck this weekend!
Yesterdays stage was nervy and it can be draining trying to avoid conflict and get to the front of the race for each climb. Pace was frantic on the climbs and I thought it might break second time up Cranford but it was still together coming into last 15km. Fair play to Phillipe on making what looked like the winning move only for the race to be cancelled.

Just back from the morning TT, a combination of yesterdays miles and a big head wind made for a difficult TT.

All Orwell riding well so hopefully we can nab something by races end.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, Brian Mc, Dick O'Brien, Valdis Andersons

More
10 years 4 months ago #6320 by Fionn Sheridan
Replied by Fionn Sheridan on topic Good luck this weekend!
Just back from the tt and wow it was windy. Yesterdays race was fast paced and sometimes a bit nervy but that's racing. Declans doing a great job of looking after us and making sure we're ok and hopefully we all make it round the race later on.

More
10 years 4 months ago #6323 by Declan Quigley
Replied by Declan Quigley on topic Good luck this weekend!
Tough day for the riders in Gorey and thankfully everyone is home safely.
Freezing rain and driving rain in marked contrast to yesterday's balmy spring weather meant everyone suffered.
Philippe shivered his way to a superb fifth in the bunch gallop, seventh on the stage and, we believe, he's still well in contention in the top twenty overall. All that is to be confirmed. We haven't seen any results yet.
Some talk of pasta at the moment. Very little talk about cleaning bikes...

More
10 years 4 months ago #6324 by Ronan Grimes
Replied by Ronan Grimes on topic Good luck this weekend!
Today was a tough day. I had put sunscreen on before the start of the afternoon race just in case, which was a bit silly looking back on it. Weather took a turn for the worse on the third lap which made the last half of the race really hard, coming into the last 10k the legs just gave up. Great job by Phillipe who was up there in the sprint, and a big thanks to Declan and everyone else for all their help so far. Strangely enough I'm already looking forward to tomorrow's stage!

More
10 years 4 months ago #6325 by Neal Hudson
Replied by Neal Hudson on topic Good luck this weekend!
Sorry to hear about the rain in Wexford lads! Here in Kerry the sun was splitting the stones today, glorious weather and spectacular views coming off Valentia. I was going so slowly I'd plenty of time to take in the scenery!

Today was a tough day after yesterday - 5kms into which I hit the deck and never saw the bunch again. Lantern rouge ride, followed by a visit to Tralee General for a hip xray (got the all clear). Big thanks to both our own Lucy Soden who is Race Doctor for the weekend, and also Fiona Cooke who's live tweeting from the lead car - they looked after me yesterday evening and got me to tralee and back to the house in no time. Many thanks ladies

Three down, one to go!
Attachments:

More
10 years 4 months ago #6326 by Brian Ahern
Replied by Brian Ahern on topic Good luck this weekend!
Well done to all so far and best of luck tomorrow! It's not over yet so there's still time to get amongst it!!

Thanks for the updates - keep them coming!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, Brian Mc, Dick O'Brien

More
10 years 4 months ago #6327 by Fionn Sheridan
Replied by Fionn Sheridan on topic Good luck this weekend!
Super hard day on the bike today, bunch was gunning to make up for missing the last few k's yesterday. Really suffered the third time up Cranford hill then really suffered trying to get back on after the bunch lined out and split on the 'flat' section afterwards with speeds easily hitting the mid 50s. Unfortunately the legs popped the final time up despite being in the top 30 in the bunch, really outlining how many people had been distanced with the quick pace. Struggled around the final few k's to finish but definitely one of the hardest days on the bike, just glad only one day left to go. Hope everyone in kerry is enjoying it as much as they possibly can. And thanks again to everyone who has helped us so far this weekend.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, Declan Quigley, Brian Mc, Dick O'Brien, Jamie Busher, Valdis Andersons

More
10 years 4 months ago #6328 by Dick O'Brien
Replied by Dick O'Brien on topic Good luck this weekend!
What a day. Started on a high by riding a decent TT and getting 15th on the stage. Went into the afternoon's stage feeling good. But that was one tough race. Freezing rain, strong winds and some aggressive racing. Lost contact with about a lap to go. Tried to get back on through the cars but the legs were gone. It was one of the toughest days I've had on a bike. Couldn't feel my hands afterwards with the cold.

Philippe was amazing. Started the stage 19th overall and then got up in the sprint to take seventh on the stage. Getting a result on a day like today is some going.

No forum login? Mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Don't want to miss any forum posts? How to set up email notifications
Subscribe to the calendar: Hit "+" button at bottom of widget
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, Brian Mc, Jamie Busher, Valdis Andersons, David Swift

More
10 years 4 months ago #6329 by David Swift
Replied by David Swift on topic Good luck this weekend!
Thankfully lovely weather blessed us on stage 1, with some of the team even getting slightly sunburnt. Was feeling good up until the last lap in Gorey and after about 120km the legs were on breaking point as I tried to chase down the bunch. With the car crash all riders in the bunch and behind were given the same time, lucky for me.

A strong headwind mixed with tired legs made the stage 2 TT tough. While my only only hopes for Gorey were to finish and put in a good time in the TT, I was disappointed to be over 2 minutes down on the winner.

Stage 3 was tough from the start with the pace being pushed on the flatter sections. I kept in the bunch, up until the second time passing through Cranford, while I made it up the climb in the group the riders on the front really pushed on the flatter/downhill section. After pushing hard eventually made it back on as the bunch slowed into the headwind. My chance to recover didn't last too long though, the rain had started and I started to suffer further. On a flat crosswind section, the pace ramped up again and my tired lefts couldn't hold on. With the next group on the road far behind the cavalcade of cars I had to continue on alone, only to eventually abandon as the body refused to do anymore in the cold and wet conditions.

Thankfully the rest of the team all finished in the horrible conditions compared to yesterday's warm sunny day. Hopefully today's conditions won't affect the riders going into tomorrow's final stage back to Blessington.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, Brian Mc, Jamie Busher, Valdis Andersons

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #6330 by Jamie Busher
Yep - Today was one of the tougher days I've had on a bike! All of the contenders really put the pressure on and there was just no let up be it the hills, flat or downhill sections! Cranford hill and the drags between Camolin and Gorey were the easier sections!
Before and after Cranford was where the real damage was done as it lined out and wheels were dropped.

The rain and cold made that last two laps torture. I managed to hang with the lead bunch for the sprint finish but the legs just had enough, rolled over for same time. Fair play to Phillippe to get up in that company, not easy!

Hopefully the suncream comes out tomorrow.
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by Jamie Busher.

More
10 years 4 months ago #6332 by Valdis Andersons
Replied by Valdis Andersons on topic Good luck this weekend!
Massive kudos to everyone racing and the race reports! Just reading about the suffering makes my legs hurt, can't even imagine how hard the actual racing must be.
Good luck tomorrow everyone! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, Brian Mc

More
10 years 4 months ago #6333 by Brian Ahern
Replied by Brian Ahern on topic Good luck this weekend!
He's mighty with a pen and now he's proving mighty on a bike too. Latest live feed from the ras mumhan. I can't wait for this race report!

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, Dick O'Brien, Valdis Andersons

More
10 years 4 months ago #6337 by Philippe Bourdarias
Replied by Philippe Bourdarias on topic Good luck this weekend!
Monday evening and the end of a long week end of racing.
Gorey was an eventful event with some exiting racing and some very strong rides. Saturday was for me too one of the most unpleasant moment on a bike. I shook for a good hour after the end due to the cold and wet conditions. Without the team car i don't know how i would have got the hotel.
Today was a complete different story. Sun was shining and without a strong cross wind all the way up to Blesington and constant attacking it could have been a nice spin. All the top 20 in the gc tried to go away repeatedly to move up but were chased by a very large Lucan team (more than 15 riders). Tried my luck 5km before Blesington but my attempt lasted...2mn...
Strong rides from orwell with Jamie and Dick at the front most of the time. Very clever attack from Fionn in the last 600m also that could have been successful without a fast and aggressive bunch. Very nervous sprint. I almost finished in the ditch.
Very good race in general, much safer compared to last year and some very strong riders.
Big thank again to Declan, Ema, Sandra and Jamie's dad for their support. It was invaluable...
Thanks also to Ronan for making his car available.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Declan Quigley, Emma Convey, Brian Mc, Dick O'Brien, Valdis Andersons

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #6339 by Brian Mc
Replied by Brian Mc on topic Good luck this weekend!
I went down to Kerry this weekend thinking I was a hard man for attempting the Rás Mumhan with so little training. However, watching Pat, Tom, Neal, Aido and Eric pick themselves up off the ground after their crashes, and in every case ride on and appear at the start line the next day entirely voluntarily - I learned what hard men truly are. Particularly Pat and Neal, who were in a bad way after their incidents and yet rode the next day as if nothing had happened - supremely impressive lads. Aido and Eric were up with the front group every day, along with Diarmuid when he wasn't busy putting together some delicious slow-cooked lamb for the team. Odhran and the Hurleys were great to have around as well, with acres of experience and anecdotes between them, and plenty of helpful advice - not to mention Graham personally washing my gear every day. And thank you to Eric for driving me from Dublin and to stage starts.

For me, the race was tough. I'm not used to being dropped on the first climb, but it was my fate three days out of four. I had flashbacks to being a novice A4 in the Ras de Cymru. While the wonderful Dr Lucy was kept busy treating our various crash victims, thankfully the only time I saw her during the race was when I was in the cars trying to hang on to the bunch (and failing). It was great to find my legs on the last day, and give the irrepressible Fi Cooke something to tweet about. And thanks to Joe Daly's for the supplies - I ran out after chomping down five gels trying not to bonk on Saturday, so I couldn't have done it without that. And the magic hands of Rachel Glendon which got me through to the last stage!

Lastly, it's been fantastic reading back over the Gorey tweets and the entries here - sounds like nobody had an easy weekend, but there were a few great performances in there - Dick 15th in the TT, and Philippe's sprinting! Also, Gavin Dodd got up in Rás Chonamara - I hope to find a bit of time to get the race reports up soon! In the meantime, more 'recovery pints' await!
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by Brian Mc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Declan Quigley, Dick O'Brien, Valdis Andersons

More
10 years 4 months ago #6342 by Jamie Busher
What a turnaround, from the Baltic conditions on Saturday to glorious sunshine on yesterdays stage. Overall Gorey was an epic experience, its a long and tiring weekend both physically and mentally. As with any of these events be it a sportive or race after the suffering has ended you can sit down and reflect with positivity.

On stage 4 Orwell were well represented at the front of the race, at times it was tough when it lined out with the side winds.

The last 5km of that race was probably the biggest buzz I've had on a bike, when I saw an Orwell rider go off the front after Blessington I had a chuckle, fair balls Fionn.
I had good legs on the stage and thought something might happen but alas it wasn't to be, I nearly ended in the same ditch as Phillipe.

I was nervous about doing this race as there are reports of it being crashy etc, I didn't witness one! There was massive garda presence and I could count on one hand the number of moving cars I passed. The scale of the event is impressive and all for 50 quid.

Well done to all orwell who lined out. Thanks to my Dad, Declan and the support crew for taking the time out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Declan Quigley, Dick O'Brien

Time to create page: 0.344 seconds